Apple and raspberry cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike101uk

Regular.
Reaction score
Looking at making a small batch 5l of Apple and raspberry cider for SWMBO , she likes the fruit infused ciders and particularly raspberry and the strawberry and lime ones,

So would 2 bottles of this and 3 litre cartons of plain Apple be ok, also confused on the tannin , pectolase and other chemical things you need to add, do I need to and if so when and how much ?

This is my first cider

20171117_123315_HDR.jpg

Sounds good to me although I usually use 3.5 ltr apple juice to 1 ltr of other. But as its apple and a flavour(raspberry) the two ltr sound good. You won't fit the full five litre in a demi or 5ltr water bottle this is why I use 3.5 +1, but if using something bigger your 3+2 would be fine.
3 teabags in a cup left for 10mins is your tannin.(no milk) allow to cool a bit before adding.
Tsp of pectolase aids clearing.
Tsp yeast nutrient.
Tsp citric acid or juice of lime.(optional)
Packet of cider yeast.
Chuck it all in at the beginning and wait and enjoy.
You may want to sweeten to taste once fermented as some version are a bit harsh, use granulated sweetener(splenda,candarrel etc)

Yea well that juice is 90% Apple juice, 9% raspberry puree and 1% aronia juice (nope no idea what that is)

And was gonna use demijohn so maybe 2 of those to 2 and a half plain apple, and a juice of like and then rest of what you list, will give it a go as it's really cheap anyway

I usually ferment in a 5ltr plastic water bottle as it has more space than a glass demi.
2+2 should be OK but may still froth out the top once it gets going, the juices with puree in usually go a bit crazy. Hold back a little apple juice and add after a couple of days if using a 1gallon demi.

I know this is disgraceful but when I make fruit cider for people I just make normal cider and add no added sugar summer fruits squash.

Actually tastes just like the branded ones and I don't have to drink it.

Right at the end, just before bottling.[/QUOTE

Won't the preservatives in the squash kill the remaining yeast? Therefore no yeast to carbonate the bottles.

Doesn't seem to. Maybe because you only need a little bit for each bottle with the double concentrated stuff.

I suppose you could boil the preservatives off first if you were worried.

May have changed my recipe after reading many forums , I'm now looking at 4 1 litre cartons regular Apple juice and a 500ml bottle of Tesco finest strawberry and raspberry cordial,

Screenshot_2017-11-22-09-36-30.jpg

It's guidelines are 1 part cordial to 4 parts water so I'm hoping it makes a nice flavoured with the 4 litres, and contains sweetener so hopefully not too dry

Back