Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any tips, mines been in the Fermenter for 15 days now and has a little bit of the foam left, heard some leave it for three weeks.

After putting the hops in, how long did you leave it! gonna take a gravity reading soon.

Cheers
Mine was in the fv for 17 days at 20-21 degrees David. I put the hops in on day 12.
Finished and stable at 1006. It might be worth transferring to a bottling bucket when ready if you can, there was a lot of hop debris from this kit.
I've been putting a couple of bottles in the fridge and drinking after a couple of days. It's worth the wait mate, far and away the nicest kit i've done.
Thought I would just stick to AG from now on, this kit changed my mind.
Starting another AIPA this afternoon after work.

Good luck.:thumb:

Mine was in the fv for 17 days at 20-21 degrees David. I put the hops in on day 12.
Finished and stable at 1006. It might be worth transferring to a bottling bucket when ready if you can, there was a lot of hop debris from this kit.
I've been putting a couple of bottles in the fridge and drinking after a couple of days. It's worth the wait mate, far and away the nicest kit i've done.
Thought I would just stick to AG from now on, this kit changed my mind.
Starting another AIPA this afternoon after work.

Good luck.:thumb:

Cheers,
Gravity reading was 1012, will drop the Hops in tonight.
Looking forward to downing a couple of these soon.

D

Any tips, mines been in the Fermenter for 15 days now and has a little bit of the foam left, heard some leave it for three weeks.

After putting the hops in, how long did you leave it! gonna take a gravity reading soon.

Cheers
I did my usual 2:2:2 weeks cycle for this kit.
2 weeks fermentation (at 23C),
2 weeks warm conditioned in the bottle, then
2 weeks cold conditioned in my garage back in January...and still drinking it nearly 6 months later.

OG 1.056, added hops with a reading of 1.004 two days before siphoning into my bottling bucket and bottling. The reading was still at 1.004.
Hence ABV 6.8% and nicely carbonated.

I agree with all before that this is a great beer. Well worth the wait. Enjoy. :cheers:

I did my usual 2:2:2 weeks cycle for this kit.
2 weeks fermentation (at 23C),
2 weeks warm conditioned in the bottle, then
2 weeks cold conditioned in my garage back in January...and still drinking it nearly 6 months later.

OG 1.056, added hops with a reading of 1.004 two days before siphoning into my bottling bucket and bottling. The reading was still at 1.004.
Hence ABV 6.8% and nicely carbonated.

I agree with all before that this is a great beer. Well worth the wait. Enjoy. :cheers:
Thanks for the tips, will defo brew this again! next brew will be either festival bonfire toffee stout or the Russian IPA coopers kits version...or Both

Evening gents,

Transferred to bottling bucket and took a final gravity!
1.006 to be loose, so 6.8%
That will certainly crack the sky.
After a little taster it is nicely bittered! so far so good.
Bottling maybe tomorrow.

very impressed with this kit.

Cheers :twisted:

First attempt at a home brew and on recomendation have gone for this Kit. Lucky I have a great local shop in my village in Elvington who were really helpfull and got me set up with all i needed.. After fully sterilising everything i got my brew going in the Under stairs cupboard at a nice steady 20 degrees. Going to leave it very well alone for at least 21 days based on the advise from this forum so far before hopping for a few days and bottling! Heres hoping for the best!! See you in 21 days

First attempt at a home brew and on recomendation have gone for this Kit. Lucky I have a great local shop in my village in Elvington who were really helpfull and got me set up with all i needed.. After fully sterilising everything i got my brew going in the Under stairs cupboard at a nice steady 20 degrees. Going to leave it very well alone for at least 21 days based on the advise from this forum so far before hopping for a few days and bottling! Heres hoping for the best!! See you in 21 days

this is great vision. give it a week of the dry hops too. best kit I ever did without adding anything too

Evening all.

Well it's been a year since my first brew, which was a WoodForde's Wherry and that turned out pretty good thanks to loads of advice from this great forum.

Bought anther kit back in March, the AIPA and started it 18 days ago (it's been a busy year!). Unlike my first attempt, I sort of forgot all about it and suddenly realised nearly 3 weeks have passed so just took a reading and it is 1008. Now I know I have to take a reading over several days to make sure it has finished, but my only concern was my SG which was 1053. I have seen others mention a SG of 1064. Anything I should worry about? It has been at a temperature of between 22-24.

I must admit the smell it gave off when I started it was fantastic although the wife didn't agree :)

Cheers

This is probably the best kit I have ever made, seriously. Nice big pack (100g) of dry hops supplied in the kit (no hop bag or anything like that though), and a really nice big packet of yeast (was something like 20/22g I think). I really like kits that come with the LME/Wort in a bag, and this is another one. I'm starting to wonder if it's the metal in the tins that cause homebrew twang?

Made it on the 14/10/2017, rehydrating the supplied yeast at 30 degrees C, pitching at 28 degrees C. Massive Krausen and nice and vigorous. OG 1.057

2/11/2017 SG was down to 1.015. Tasting the trial jar it was nice and very very bitter, but not overly hoppy yet (obviously). Strong alcohol taste detectable.

Supplied dry hops went in loose on 9/11/2017, SG was still 1.015, dry hops went into the primary FV this time around.

12/11/2017 SG was down to 1.010, so it would seem that the hops kicked off a secondary fermentation. :lol: Possibly wort wasn't quite aerated enough in the beginning.

17/11/2017 SG was still 1.010, so moved to bottling bucket where batch primed then bottled.

27/11/2017 Tried my first bottle (I couldn't resist!). Obviously it's still fairly young, but oh my has it made a lovely beer! Served at room temperature, it had an incredibly juicy, fruity, aroma and flavour with a touch of sweetness to it. I've seen it compared to Punk IPA, but I'd say it's not that similar to be honest. Not sure what I would compare it to to be honest, as I've not had an AIPA quite as juicy and fruity as this one (only really tried a few of the Brewdog ones before to be honest). It has time to change though, so who knows? I would 100% brew this again, if I hadn't made the move to AG brewing that is. :thumb: As I said, the best kit I've made with no need to tweak, swap yeast etc. Properly earns the premium price tag.

Well it took 22 days in FV to get down to 1.010 where it stayed for another 48 hours. Dry Hopped in mesh bag for two days so far with no drop in SG! Looking to leave it another few days based on recomendations on here before bottling day! On current SG its at 6.3% which im happy with

This is probably the best kit I have ever made, seriously. Nice big pack (100g) of dry hops supplied in the kit (no hop bag or anything like that though), and a really nice big packet of yeast (was something like 20/22g I think). I really like kits that come with the LME/Wort in a bag, and this is another one. I'm starting to wonder if it's the metal in the tins that cause homebrew twang?

Made it on the 14/10/2017, rehydrating the supplied yeast at 30 degrees C, pitching at 28 degrees C. Massive Krausen and nice and vigorous. OG 1.057

2/11/2017 SG was down to 1.015. Tasting the trial jar it was nice and very very bitter, but not overly hoppy yet (obviously). Strong alcohol taste detectable.

Supplied dry hops went in loose on 9/11/2017, SG was still 1.015, dry hops went into the primary FV this time around.

12/11/2017 SG was down to 1.010, so it would seem that the hops kicked off a secondary fermentation. :lol: Possibly wort wasn't quite aerated enough in the beginning.

17/11/2017 SG was still 1.010, so moved to bottling bucket where batch primed then bottled.

27/11/2017 Tried my first bottle (I couldn't resist!). Obviously it's still fairly young, but oh my has it made a lovely beer! Served at room temperature, it had an incredibly juicy, fruity, aroma and flavour with a touch of sweetness to it. I've seen it compared to Punk IPA, but I'd say it's not that similar to be honest. Not sure what I would compare it to to be honest, as I've not had an AIPA quite as juicy and fruity as this one (only really tried a few of the Brewdog ones before to be honest). It has time to change though, so who knows? I would 100% brew this again, if I hadn't made the move to AG brewing that is. :thumb: As I said, the best kit I've made with no need to tweak, swap yeast etc. Properly earns the premium price tag.

It’s definitely one of the better kits around, I think in the end it will kill off Wherry and the like that only supply the tins and a tiny 6g pkt of yeast.
It’s miles better and the 100g of hops is a good combo.
I’ve moved to AG now but if I brew a kit it will be one of these,a Festival Kit,a Muntons Premium or a Beerworks kit. By the time you bump up a one can kit your at the cost of these anyway and not with 100g of American hops 👍

So went to bottle on friday and SG had dropped to 1.008 annoyingly so as advised by documentation left it a few more days before checking again where it stayed so was able to bottle today! Hops in for a total of 7 days now just to wait a few weeks before cold crashing and might just get lucky to have first bottle Xmas day! If not then my NYE is def sorted !! Aslong as ive not messed something up along the way haha

@Brutalsoul
I found this beer can be drunk young. So now it's bottled put it somewhere nice and warm for carbing for a week to ten days and then find a cold place. Then as soon as its clear its ready to drink imo. Which may be by New Years Eve. :thumb:And its no good keeping it for months since the effect of the massive dry hop hop will be declining.
Enjoy

@Brutalsoul
I found this beer can be drunk young. So now it's bottled put it somewhere nice and warm for carbing for a week to ten days and then find a cold place. Then as soon as its clear its ready to drink imo. Which may be by New Years Eve. :thumb:And its no good keeping it for months since the effect of the massive dry hop hop will be declining.
Enjoy

I found these kits cleared quite quickly so it might be ready the week before Christmas

So went to bottle on friday and SG had dropped to 1.008 annoyingly so as advised by documentation left it a few more days before checking again where it stayed so was able to bottle today! Hops in for a total of 7 days now just to wait a few weeks before cold crashing and might just get lucky to have first bottle Xmas day! If not then my NYE is def sorted !! Aslong as ive not messed something up along the way haha

Just popped a bottle this evening, was in the cellar 10 days at temps around 8c perfectly drinkable even at this age!

I found something else that works well with this kit. I dry hopped mine for 6 days rather than for 4. At first it was maybe just a bit too fruity, however when it "dropped off the cliff" after a few weeks from the dry hop fade that seems to be a thing for these kits it became PERFECT! I'm talking as good as, if not better, than either Dead Pony Club or Punk IPA (not had any other AIPAs to be honest to compare to... lol) with a lovely bitter, hoppy, flavour.

A truly delicious kit that needs nothing adding to it at all.

Started mine off on the 22nd October with an SG of 1053. Added hops on 13th November when it had been at 1008 for a few days. Transferred to barrel and some bottles on 18th. Kept warm before moving to the garage on December 2nd.
I know it's still young, but thought I would crack a bottle to try. Opened with a nice hiss and had a bit of a head when poured. It's not that clear but it does taste more than okay. The only thing I wasn't expecting was the fizz. It's very fizzy /gassy but not in a horrible way. Anybody else experienced this, and is it because it is still in it's early days?

Cheers

It's not that clear but it does taste more than okay. The only thing I wasn't expecting was the fizz. It's very fizzy /gassy but not in a horrible way. Anybody else experienced this, and is it because it is still in it's early days?

Cheers
This style of beer should be served with highish carbonation which is what you are finding.
More here
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
I also found that this beer takes its time to clear, although others apparently don't. If you can put a few at the back of the fridge it will encourage the yeast to settle.

Thanks for the response Terry, that makes me feel better. I will bring a couple of bottles in from the garage and put them in the back of the fridge and try not to drink them just yet!

I must admit it does taste a lot better than my first brew, a Wherry, which I found to be a bit 'thin' if that's the right word. This has much more body to it.

I've bought this kit and some whole Simcoe hops as well. I'm planning to swap the kit hops for Simcoe.

I was also going to boil 2L water for an hour with approx half the malt and add some of the hops with the boil, then follow rest of the recipe and use the rest of my Simcoe hops for dry hopping?

Does this sound sensible or a disaster waiting to happen?

Back