Turbo cider recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1981

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi im after a recipe for a turbo cider, approx 5 gallon, and on the sweet side. This will be my first time at doing it so what yeast do i put in and how much yeast for that volume? Also ive read to use splenda as a sweetener?? Does this go into the bottles when filling?
Sorry for the noob question

mark1964 said:
20 litres fruit juice from concentrate 5 litres water 1 kg sugar 1 packet cider or wine yeast thats it :D

lol I put 1 sachet per demi john lol I think I use too much

what happeneds if you do use too much yeast?

Im making a batch of turbo cider tonight and possibly some cheeky vimto as well. making a demi john of each before mass producing in my fermenting bins. cant wait i never realized doing home brew was this cheap!!!

Just started my first apple TC (racked off a mixed fruit one yesterday to clear).

Recipe:

1kg sugar
1 sachet youngs cider yeast
22L Aldi 50% apple juce (concentrate - apple nectre)

method:

steralise fv, poor in juice, disolve in sugar, add yeast and leave for 6 weeks...

so whats it cost me?

£11.85 juice
£1.25 yeast
£0.88 sugar

So fingers crossed I should get 5 gallon of decent TC for less than 14 quid! or about the cost of 5 pints down my local!

If you want just bog standard run of the mill cider then any of the above will be OK however I think it tends to be a bit thin and insipid. If you want more of a west country cider you need to add 1 tsp of tannin per gallon this gives the bite and 1 tsp per gallon of malic acid. You also need to age for about 2-3 months ( my last was aged for 10 months) The aging is important as it undergoes further changes which gives it that cider character. Personally I just use apple juice with no sugar this will give you a cider of 5.5% ish. If you want to sweeten you can add splenda once it has mature just before bottling.

:thumb:

Hi do you add the tannin and malic acid at the start with the original ingredients/ferment or is it better after the ferment when you leave it to age in a barrel or fv

when you say a sacet of yeast what would the weight of that be as i use yeast from a container ( made by youngs)

A 5g sachet of yeast will do a 5gallon batch bt it doesn't scale linearly so you can't usually get away with 1g for 1gallon. 2g would be OK.

i ve been reading different peoples tc recipies and im confused as to should i add sugar or not,im making 5 gallons in a 5 g bucket,the first one i have made is with a kilo of sugar and got 5.5% avb ,whats your opinion sugar or no sugar ???

I get 5.5 to 6 without adding sugar. If you add sugar then it dilutes the flavour, and tc does suffer from insipidy especially when young.

Mike1981 said:
Hi im after a recipe for a turbo cider, approx 5 gallon, and on the sweet side. This will be my first time at doing it so what yeast do i put in and how much yeast for that volume? Also ive read to use splenda as a sweetener?? Does this go into the bottles when filling?
Sorry for the noob question

If you want sweet cider, just use Hambleton Bard Cider Yeast with Sweetener, its all in one packet, I personally use Lidl Cloudy AJ ( not from concentrate ) its pasteurised. If your only making 5litres in a DJ I would split the packet in half as it can be very sweet, otherwise just chuck the packet in 23litres.

If you want just bog standard run of the mill cider then any of the above will be OK however I think it tends to be a bit thin and insipid. If you want more of a west country cider you need to add 1 tsp of tannin per gallon this gives the bite and 1 tsp per gallon of malic acid. You also need to age for about 2-3 months ( my last was aged for 10 months) The aging is important as it undergoes further changes which gives it that cider character. Personally I just use apple juice with no sugar this will give you a cider of 5.5% ish. If you want to sweeten you can add splenda once it has mature just before bottling.

hi thinking about having a go at making this but being a noob not sure where you age this in the fv in a second fv or will it age in the bottles and what sort of temp should i keep it at.
;)
sorry for the hyjack

i like mine dry,so will do next batch no sugar,somethink i just thought of,is it ok to store in a white barrel

Latest posts

Back