Lidl Turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topgear

Reaction score
OK so its on the go bubbling away merrily two questions

1 I have filled a glass carboy to 18 lts with intention of topping up to 23 lts when the vigorous fermentation slows down- is that OK??? :wha:

2 I have used a champagne yeast and noticed it seems to be vigorous but not foaming- is that OK ??? :wha:

thanks gang :cheers:

started mine on sunday night, pitched nottingham ale yeast in with 20litres of apple juice, had a good head on it, started slowing down today a little so pitched the remaining 5 litres of apple juice.

Will let it ferment out then back sweeten and prime :)

sorry for coming in on your thread, i 3/4 filled 2 DJs and had a bit of squirtage through the air lock, there is quite a bit of scum now around the shoulders and nech is it ok to top up or should i transfer it to another sterile DJ?

yes........the hard way. got up one morning and kitchen cupboards covered in grape juice, looked at the advice on here and realised what had happened. :roll:

Sorry also to butt into this thread lol

I'm about to start my turbo cider (Not from juice from lidl because i missed out on that offer grumble Grumble :twisted: ) but i have a question how do you know when its ready to be primed and bottled?

evanvine said:
Rule of thumb, 10 days, then keg/bottle

Cheers :)

One more question, do u literally, just siphon off the liquid leaving sediment behind and prime with a tea spoon of sugar and cap? how long does it last?

One more question, do u literally, just siphon off the liquid leaving sediment behind and prime with a tea spoon of sugar and cap?

Yes, into sterilised bottles, obviously. I'd test the cider with a hydrometer just to make sure ( constant readings over 3 days = finished), but that's because I'm a worry pants. I find a scant teaspoon in a 500ml bottle has given me a bit of a nice fiz without it being too gassy.

how long does it last?

I've had mine in the outside shed for 2 months, and it just keep getting better. Don't think it's shelf life will be an issue given the rate I am drinking it at! :D I did 2 batches, one with cider yeast, one with champagne yeast, but otherwise identical. after 2 weeks in the bottle, the cider yeast one was ready and nice, the champagne yeast one, not so nice. After 3 weeks, the champagne yeast one has matured into a nice cider also, subtly different.

I back sweetened each bottle with a splendor tablet.

jjsh said:
One more question, do u literally, just siphon off the liquid leaving sediment behind and prime with a tea spoon of sugar and cap?

Yes, into sterilised bottles, obviously. I'd test the cider with a hydrometer just to make sure ( constant readings over 3 days = finished), but that's because I'm a worry pants. I find a scant teaspoon in a 500ml bottle has given me a bit of a nice fiz without it being too gassy.

[quote:wxenkghm]how long does it last?

I've had mine in the outside shed for 2 months, and it just keep getting better. Don't think it's shelf life will be an issue given the rate I am drinking it at! :D I did 2 batches, one with cider yeast, one with champagne yeast, but otherwise identical. after 2 weeks in the bottle, the cider yeast one was ready and nice, the champagne yeast one, not so nice. After 3 weeks, the champagne yeast one has matured into a nice cider also, subtly different.

I back sweetened each bottle with a splendor tablet.[/quote:wxenkghm]

Thanks thats a great Help :) I didnt want to faff around bottling and capping if it only lasted 1/2 weeks lmao :lol: :D

Latest posts

Back