Cider Attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anbhás

Reaction score
4.3 Litres of Apple juice
500g White Sugar
100g Brown Sugar
5g Young's Dessert/ High Alcohol yeast
A glob of honey

The recipe I used instucted me to create a sugar solution with water and all of the sugar heated in a pot. Then once the sugar is dissolved in the water add it in the fermentation vat with the rest of the juice. I did this but I used more apple juice instead of water.

It has been bubbling vigorously since the 27th of March. What do you all think? Is there any way I can improve this recipe?

cider.jpg

There is a recipe that uses ginger over here that may be worth checking out. Honestly, I just made my first TC and I chucked in the 4 or so litres of AJ and some yeast. I didn't bother with the sugar, bc I don't really want 9 or 10% cider, just want a nice refreshing drink that won't blow my face off for my first brew of it... may experiment with added sugar later :twisted:

StubbsPKS said:
There is a recipe that uses ginger over here that may be worth checking out. Honestly, I just made my first TC and I chucked in the 4 or so litres of AJ and some yeast. I didn't bother with the sugar, bc I don't really want 9 or 10% cider, just want a nice refreshing drink that won't blow my face off for my first brew of it... may experiment with added sugar later :twisted:

Is what I'm making turbo cider?

Yep it is Turbo Cider or TC as it is shortened to on the forum

Anbhás said:
Turbo cider :eek: its rocket fuel. :shock:
At a conserative estimate I get a starting gravity of 1128.
Unless you used a high alcohol tolerence yeast , it will inhibit long before ferment is complete.
This may be a good thing as the sweetness will soften the 14/15% ABV.
Best of luck with it. :thumb:

evanvine said:
Unless you used a high alcohol tolerence yeast , it will inhibit long before ferment is complete.

I did use a high alcohol tolerence yeast :D Just racked it today too.

Thanks for the info lads! I will post pictures when it is done.

evanvine said:
Anbhás said:
Turbo cider :eek: its rocket fuel. :shock:
At a conserative estimate I get a starting gravity of 1128.
This may be a good thing as the sweetness will soften the 14/15% ABV.
What's your yeast of choice Jim with that gravity? :wha:

HLA91 said:
Drinking pints of 15% TC will put you on your ****.

This is why I didn't add any extra sugar to mine. I am quite happy to drink 5-6% that tastes exactly like the original juice :thumb:

There you go I got four large bottles out of it. I used a decafatier to filter out the clumpy bits of powdered vinclear. It tastes beautiful. I am very happy about this :D

luckyeddie said:
You must have a liver like mine - a cross between shagpile carpet and cauliflower

hah I drank it all too. Mixed it with a can of monster at a party too... Deadly concoction. Things will only get worse (or better) too since my brewing capacity will jump up from 5l to 30l starting from tomorrow since I'll be getting a carboy. So the carboy will be used for mead and the demi john will be my experimenting vessel.

I started a TC on Saturday morning with 20l of AJ. I used 'turbo yeast' and activity has already stopped!! Is this normal?
It's real cloudy at the moment. What's the next step?

Wraeccan said:
I started a TC on Saturday morning with 20l of AJ. I used 'turbo yeast' and activity has already stopped!! Is this normal?
It's real cloudy at the moment. What's the next step?

Are you sure it has completly stopped? Maybe it's already time for secondary fermentation. If you rack it, add more sugar. the yeast has probably somehow run out of food. Can you tell me everything you did in the process?

Simply put 20l of apple juice in the FV. I added 2 tsp citric acid, 2 tsp nutrients, 1 tsp tannin and a sachet of turbo yeast.
I didn't heat anything at all.
The O.G. was 1054. The Gravity is now 1010. It was very lively but has stopped bubbling altogether now.
The turbo yeast sachet did say it would be quick, but I didn't expect that!! Ah... just noticed the yeast already has nutrients in it. Perhaps it's gone too fast?

Is it simply a case of leaving it well alone to clear now?

Wraeccan said:
Simply put 20l of apple juice in the FV. I added 2 tsp citric acid, 2 tsp nutrients, 1 tsp tannin and a sachet of turbo yeast.
I didn't heat anything at all.
The O.G. was 1054. The Gravity is now 1010. It was very lively but has stopped bubbling altogether now.
The turbo yeast sachet did say it would be quick, but I didn't expect that!! Ah... just noticed the yeast already has nutrients in it. Perhaps it's gone too fast?

Is it simply a case of leaving it well alone to clear now?

I would drop about 3-4 teaspoons of sugar in it but that's just me. If that's the way the gravity went, unless I am wrong it's now at 5.9 percent and it should be fine to drink once aged

Probably me not taking the reading correctly.
FG dropped to 1005. Had a couple of pints last night.
It looked like a very cloudy apple juice, or a pale orange juice.
Tasted pretty good though. Quite like a traditional cloudy scrumpy. Not as good as some of the better commercial products, but a world better than Strongbow!!! I'm going to TRY and leave 10 litres or so in 2 litre plastic 'pop' bottles for a couple of weeks. I've put about 1.5 tsp of sugar into each. Don't really care about the cloudiness, but I'm also going to try and clear a couple of litres and top-up with sugar-free vimto for someone else.

Monday will also see another 20 litres going in the FV :grin:

Back