Turbo Cider from Alcotec Turbo Yeast (Oh No!!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smndvy

Reaction score
I decided to try to make a Turbo Cider and being a beginner I ordered a packet of Alcotec Turbo 48 Hour Yeast. I have since researched some more and realised that this is not for cider at all, but for making spirits. :oops: :oops:

I dont really want to throw it away as I am higly unlikely to ever make spirits so can I use it in a smaller quantity to make a nice cider? I dont really want anything too strong, maybe 7% or 8% tops (6% would be ideal but the maths get more confusing) :wha:

The instructions on the Alcotec Turbo Yease says 6Kg sugar to 21L water and full packet of the yeast for 14 %. :sick:

I only want to make a 5 Liters of cider at the moment as a trial.

Quarter water will be 5 Liters
Quarter sugar will be 1.5 Kg
Quarter pack of yeast
This will still give me 14%ABV but a lower quantity. :sick:

So if I stick with the 5 Litres of water and put half of the yeast and sugar listed above i.e. 750g sugar with an eight of the packet of yeast that should give me 7% right? :clap:

If my guesswork is right I will be able to use this packet of yeast and make a reasonable cider - however :-

I will be mixing it with apple and elderflower juice which has sugar already in it. How do I know how much sugar is already in the juice so I can adjust my dextrose level accordingly?

Please help as I have made the obvious mistake of associating Turco Cider with Turbo Yeast :roll:

Thanks

S

Thanks

S

Turbo yeast produces some really wild flavours - Normally once you have made the sugar wine you add ground carbon to remove any flavour / aroma from it before adding the spirit flavouring.

If making cider and you want it at around 5-6% . . . Just use apple juice and no added sugar, all the sugar will do is turn it into really nasty tramp juice.

To be bluntIf you make a turbo cider with this yeast, you will not make any more turbo cider . . .the yeast will really make it that nasty. . . . Get a proper yeast.

I'm a total newbie at all this with very little experience.
One experience I DO have is making the alcotel mistake. The cider tasted very rough and just would not clear. I also have just thrown away another packet of the yeast because I Will not use it again!!. The second batch I did I used Young's Super. Much Better Flavour and is already almost clear.

Please don't make the same mistake I did. You will regret it!

Best of luck

Thanks guys - point taken. I think I'll use it to make something nasty for my Polish friend - He seems to like the nasty stuff :sick:

Back