Woodfordes Wherry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDan

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, back from a nightmare holiday...but, met up with some friends after work at one of the bars, saw they had woodforde wherry on tap. I had tried this from a kit a friend made and thought it was really bitter, dark, too fizzy and overall not very nice.

Have to say though, having this on tap its 100% a different drink :thumb: . Makes me wonder if my friend had done something wrong, this stuff was lovely!

Anyone have any experience of making this up and leaving in a cornie,?I wonder if this will be similar to what I have just tried at the pub :cheers: :D :drink:

I won a woodforde wherry Bitter on ebay for £12 on Friday , its a two can jobby ... so no need for any sugar , i put it in the FV today and its kick in straight away , so i'll let you know the outcome at the end of the month ;)

Yeah let me know what you think, as I Said my friend tried making it and neither of us were impressed. Had seen many good reviews which is why I was quite shocked at his attempt. If I could get that kit half as good as what I had last night, I'd be very happy!

Good luck

I tried the wherry from tap in a pub a couple of weeks ago... Mine was 100% BETTER thanthe pub served pint. I found the pub wherry too watery and nowhere near as much flavour as mine. I used the kit yeast plus a packet of Safale 04.

I have done a Wherry Kit and it was an acceptable drink. I have also had Wherry on tap and as Brewdan say's it is a totaly different pint. Dunc' if the one you had in a pub was worse than your kit brew it must have been a bad pint. Im not knocking your brewing ability in any way my Wherry was good but not as good :D.

How did you make yours up snail? And also was this in bottle or cornie? I'm still tempted to buy one as the pub version was so good. Most of the photos I see of the kit version end up really dark, the one I had was half way to an ipa

I made mine as per the instructions. WHERRY

I bottled mine and it was very drinkable. As you say though the brew came out darker than the draught version and the bottled version from Woodfords is different again.

I've done 2 batches of wherry but kegged mine, turned out a good pint but i think i prefer Nelsons Revenge :cheers:

I've only done 3 kits so far (with another 2 ready to go when the cider's finished) but the Wherry was easily the worst of the bunch. Just wouldn't clear and was very bitter. :sick:

No offence to the previous post (other people say the same too) but it is a bitter so it is supposed to taste... well bitter :rofl:

I hope one day I find Nelson on tap so I can give it a go! I think I may possibly give the wherry kit a go. If it turns out bad for me as well, I will know its just not my sort of thing.

I've brewed a good few of the Woodforde Wherry over the last year or so & have found it a consistently good kit, both in ease of use & more importantly, taste!

I'm now having a go at Admiral's reserve from Woodforde's , so fingers crossed that this too is as nice!!

Latest posts

Back