water level in a heating water bath?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doghouse gav

Reaction score
having been bannished by swmbo to the garage following and open siggot whilst brewing in the kitchen accident :whistle:
i have found it really hard to maintain a steady temp, i have tryed a heater pad (which just heats the fv way to much).
having looked about i went for an aquirium heater and decided id go for a water bath type thing.
anyways ive set it all up but wasnt sure how far up the fv the water should be in order to keep the brew inside at a constant temp.
:wha:

I've done the same, and I had a 19L brew in mine the other day, so I got one of those yellow flexi tubs (39L size), I filled it to the same level as the 19L beer line, popped in the aquarium heater and set the aquarium heater to 24degC

Fermentation was bang tidy :grin: from 1.042 to 1.008 in 15days.

So the amount of water I put in was effectively in contact with the entire brew.

Yeah I got myself one of those flexi tubs from wilkos.
Wasn't sure on the best position of the heater so I made a sort of stand from a plastic container for the heater to go under and the fv to sit on. Prob is that the water level is only half way up the fv now. Was wondering if that would be enough as I have heard folk say they only use like 6 inches of water??? Not sure how that works :hmm:

Latest posts

Back