Is it worth it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to work on a salmon farm and the dead from the cages were put in big tubs until they were collected.

Now in summer time they would ferment.

I wonder why I don't like salmon :hmm:

Sounds like the sort of stuff I have seen served up at some of the bars in Essex!

fish sauce (nam pla) is exactly that!

fermented fish of one sort or another. Depending on the type of fish sauce it could be squid, anchovies, prawns ar some other goodies left in a pit to ... rot and ferment.

nice thought for next time you have having a Thai take away!

When I say rotting fish I meant a festering 1000kg tub of pink soup :sick: :sick:

earthwormgaz said:
I do believe the Icelanders like rotting fish as well.

is that the one sold in cans where you have to open it underwater as the smell is just SOOOOOOO bad.

I think the story was a ship sold all of its rotting canned fish to them and when they returned worried that they were in for a beeting they were asked if they had anymore?

Nordics_like_Fish_by_humon.jpg

Kiviak

This Greenland delicacy is made by wrapping whole small sea birds (auk), feathers and all, in sealskin and burying it for several months to ferment. When it is dug up, the insides are decayed to the point of near-liquification and are reportedly sucked out after creating an opening by breaking off the head or some other means. Enough said. :sick: :sick:

I thought they did that on the Isle of Lewis with guga but apparently they don't.

fish sauce (nam pla) is exactly that!
fermented fish of one sort or another. Depending on the type of fish sauce it could be squid, anchovies, prawns ar some other goodies left in a pit to ... rot and ferment.
nice thought for next time you have having a Thai take away!
You're gonna have to better than that to pit me off Thai food :lol:
Now, Belachan I really don't like :sick: , but I will eat it in things :? :grin:

Vieux-Boulogne Cheese

A delicacy from Northern France, Vieux-Boulogne, aka Sablé du Boulonnais, was found to be the smelliest cheese in the world by experts and machines at a university in London. One reason for the unusually strong smell of this raw milk cheese is that it is dipped in beer during production, which then reacts with the enzymes in the cheese as it continues to ferment.

Brewing and cheese making in one process :hmm:

This has set me off now. Does anyone know where you can buy Scandinavian food in England? I want to take the challenge and try this rotting fish!

This has set me off now. Does anyone know where you can buy Scandinavian food in England? I want to take the challenge and try this rotting fish!
You're not far enough away from Manc, don't even think about it :nono: :sick:
If cats start to go missing you know where to look :rofl:

Back