The Tiny Kitchen Beer Kit Brewer's Guide

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice report on brewing in a small kitchen. It shows what you can do with organisation.
Paul

Great post, will definitely refer to this when I start up my first brew in the next couple of weeks.

calumscott said:
Take the bottles out one by one and tip the steriliser back into the bucket. Rinse outside and fill with fresh water. Turn up side down and shake the water out vigorously, this will be plenty enough of a rinse to get all the steriliser out.

Great post, but is this really enough rinsing? I do something similar and normal fill and shake out the bottle with cold water 4 or 5 times to rinse out the steriliser. After one I can normally smell the steriliser still.

Vossy, they're coming. I'll edit them in as I take them! I've got a decent wide angle so we'll be fine! :)

Goat, seems to be plenty. Secondary fermentation seems to be fine and I've had no chlorine tastes or smells. In truth, the actual soaking solution is somewhere just more than enough to kill stuff. You empty that from the bottle which is going to leave a ml,if that, clinging to the glass. You then put in 500ml of fresh water. So you are looking at a dilution which is at least 1/500 of the lethal concentration. You empty that out the dilute with 500ml of beer. That's 1/250,000 of the lethal dose max. This is why aromatherapy doesn't work... ;)

That's what got me thinking in the first place! We do use a hell of a lot of water to produce a pint.

Here's what I get through:

5 gallons to sterilse the FV and equipment
maybe 2.5 gallons to rinse the FV and equipment
.25 gallons to heat up the can
5 gallons for the brew
maybe a gallon to wash up afterwards
5 gallons for the bottle steriliser
probably 7 gallons to rinse the bottles by the time the outside and inside get done
1 gallon to wash and rinse the FV and bottling gear.

26.75 Gallons!!!

Effectively 5 pints of water for a pint of beer. Must think of ways to reduce that...

Good point! Actually that's even more water that goes down the plug currently...

- for rinsing the bottle after I've imbibed the contents
- for soaking off labels and washing additions to the collection

blimey...

Sorry planet! :oops:

I meant the fact that washing the bottles along with your normal washing up doesn't use any extra water than you would normally use, as presumably you wash up most days anyway.

Indeed, it was just a scary thought that its even more water wasted.

I'm on mission now...

You mentioned looking to start BIAB in your kitchen. This is entirely doable, and is how I started as well. The boiler I used was just a giant stock pot I found at Makro, but I have since turned one of the big blue chutney barrels into a boiler by adding tesco elements inside.

Either of these will store well as they are not very wide, and you can store things like your brew paddle, chiller, bottles of sanitiser, etc inside of them.

My first AG was BIAB and it isn't much more hassle than brewing extract (a lot more time consuming, but not much more actual work).

I am actually just about to listen to a brewstrong podcast on BIAB (http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/670) as I've been thinking of trying it out again just for a laugh.

Latest posts

Back