Woodfordes, Sundew Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got two Sundew kits from Dunelm for £9.99 each

Thats 25p a pint :cheers: :drink:

well, it turned out fine, about 4% in the end and kegged 2 wks ago. tasting it now and it's a cracking pint, another wk or 2 in keg and it's a lovely session points.

Just started on the first barrel made from the £9.99 dunelm kit

the same recipe, two weeks in the FV then 4 weeks in the barrel

Its lovely! an ideal after work summer pint thats light and refreshing but not too heavy or strong.

After a couple of these today i was still able to mow the flower borders, rotavate the lawn, put the cat in the dishwasher and load all the crockery in the washing machine...................

I cooked an Indian meal of several Dals and spices with onions and tomatoes served on a Jerra rice which was absolutely delicious and the best one i have done yet and very authentic.

I wondered what drink would go well with this apart from Cobra or Bangle which i didnt have.

So i tried a pint of Sundew. WOW what a combination. The mix of spices and Dal flavours combined with the flowery taste of Sundew worked perfect and made a perfect pint to go with a curry. The ones i make anyway.

I have also found that Sundew definitely needs at least 8 weeks conditioning to fully mature, less than this is ok but now its a smooth light summer ale with delicate flavours.

Pinchy said:
How does this drink compare to old golden hen? Or doesn't it? Lol

To be fair it doesn't, Old Golden Hen has a brilliant hop taste to it. Sundew is almost a cross between a lager and a summer ale.
I have found with kits that its difficult to get a distinct hop taste through, but that could be the kits I've used.

thermalhound said:
I've got this kit stashed and have empty fermenters at the moment so now looks like a good time to get it on the go. I am thinking of adding a hop tea to the kit though, made with cascade hops, and wondered if anyone else had done the same / similar?
I'm thinking of doing that with the one I've just started. Did you do it?

Scott said:
Pinchy said:
How does this drink compare to old golden hen? Or doesn't it? Lol

To be fair it doesn't, Old Golden Hen has a brilliant hop taste to it. Sundew is almost a cross between a lager and a summer ale.
I have found with kits that its difficult to get a distinct hop taste through, but that could be the kits I've used.

Fair enough thanks for the reply :thumb: . I'm learning from my Wherry kit that you can't go wrong with woodfordes :)

Putting one of these on either tonight or by the weekend.
Brewery corner is empty :doh: ive lived with it for a few days, but it just isn't right!! :wha:
So time to get this rectified.
I have a pack of styrian goldings which is burning a hole in my store cupboard so i plan to use 1/3 in this, 1/3 in a Coopers APA and 1/3 in a Wilko Hoppy Copper, and for good measure i'm putting on a Wilko Golden Ale for the old mans birthday.
The plan is to Cornie the APA and the Sundew (to drink over summer/autumn), King Keg the Golden Ale and bottle the Hoppy Copper and put away for winter.
Brewery corner is back to full capacity, i am a happy man, and the present Mrs KC will have the dog on...balance is restored!! :thumb: :thumb:

Just got my first Sundew on and bubbling away nicely. Did anyone ever get round to hopping this, as ive got a bag of cascade to try?

sdgtiger said:
Just got my first Sundew on and bubbling away nicely. Did anyone ever get round to hopping this, as ive got a bag of cascade to try?

I made this in May , just finishing the barrel off now , probably the best ale I've made so far -

250g Caragold steeped for 30 mins 70C

1 x 1.5kg can of Sundew
1 x 1.5kg can of LME

15g magnum ( 14.5 %) 60 mins.

10g Perle (10%) 30 mins.

15g NZ Cascade (10.7%) 15 mins

1TSP Irish Moss 15 mins.

35g NZ Cascade (10.7%) Flameout , cool for 30 mins.

I didn't like it, thought it really thin and didn't have a nice mouth feel. Doubt I'll do it again

I made this earlier in the year and was so impressed I went back for more (to be fair it was when the woodfordes were £10 in dunelm) It's not very often I buy a kit twice, so many kits not enough time :). Second one was not so great but knowing what it could be like I can only assume it was something I did :(. I also did a Wherry at the time as well which took months to clear and was not drinkable until nearly 4 months, in fact I was about to bin it so I could have the bottles back.

Just started another one of these but added -

250g caragold & 250g of malted wheat steeped for 30 mins at 68C
20g EKG boiled 15 mins
25g dried Elderflowers boiled 15 mins.
15g EKG flame out.

Had the first of mine tonight. Have to say felt like a watered down wherry. Wife liked it tho but she is a lager drinker. Think I will leave the rest for a good while longer and see if they mature :cheers:

I made this back in October and dry hopped with 100g Junga, just because I had them. It came out good. Still a little on the thin side, but the extra hops made this into a very nice session ale. I kegged and bottled a few. The results were different. I think overall the higher carbonation in the bottle is better, but still nice on the hand pull.

Pearlfisher said:
Just started another one of these but added -

250g caragold & 250g of malted wheat steeped for 30 mins at 68C
20g EKG boiled 15 mins
25g dried Elderflowers boiled 15 mins.
15g EKG flame out.

Half way down the PB now and each glass just gets better & better , definitely my favourite ale I've brewed so far. :drink:

Latest posts

Back