Woodfordes, Sundew Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok i am drinking another as I type and it is again greatly improved - The 'water down Wherry' feel has completely gone and it now tastes clear and fresh - I probably wont do this kit again but if i did this is one that benefits from a 3 months in the bottle before drinking. Luckily i still have a few bottles left :thumb:

Had my first taster of the Sundew last night, some 5 weeks after bottling. Very clear and certainly very quaffable. Ideally suited for a summer ale/session beer with the bbq coals on the go.

Only fault was the bottle I tried was a bit gassy, but it was a 330ml bottle so perhaps I over did the sugar priming on this particular bottle. Must look into batch priming for my next brew as I bottle all sort of different sized bottles, even picked up a couple of 275ml bottles last week.

So all in all, a very good, light, refreshing ale. Not very strong, so ideal for the hot summer afternoons. :)

Currently drinking a glass of sundew which was my joint first attempt at homebrewing since my damsen wine when I was still living at home!

I was a little worried as I pitched the yeast a little warm at 28°C due to making the mistake of having 6litres of boiling water not pints and wanting to aim for 20-21L rather than 23L. After 3 weeks in the primary and hitting an ABV of 4.7% I transferred into a pressure barrel with 85g of Demerara sugar for two weeks by the radiator followed by three in the conservatory wi a fairly steady 10-12°C.

I tried it at the weekend when my partners sister was visiting, who for the record does not like beer in any way shape or form. I can only assume high praise from her as she tasted it and said she liked it, 4 pints later converted ale fan! It's quite mellow as expected for a golden ale but makes a great pint. I will be doing another batch of this for sure!

Didn't like this at all when it was young. Nearly binned it in fact. Very watery thin taste but have to say this is 12 weeks old now and is much much better. Quite a nice pint. Just goes to say that it was worth the wait.

image.jpg

Just tried my first bottle of this. Been in the bottle for 4 weeks. It's not unpleasant but it's incredibly watery. In fact it tastes mainly of carbonated water. I'm hoping as per other reviews the flavour develops over time...

Just getting one of these on, had it since it was on sale in lakelands for less than 20quid. Hopefully keep it in PB ready for xmas time. Ive only done a couple of 1 can kits, tc and a cheaper than cheap kilner bitter kit upto now. So interested to see how a premium two can kit turns out.

I think I've decided I don't like mine :eek: :cry:
They have a definate flowery tang that hits you in the back of the throat. They go cloudy when poured no mater how gently you do it, the head is rubbish.
I've left them alone for long enough & I can't see them improving with more age.
I've tried sticking 2 in the fridge to see if that would improve things but no.
I couldn't recommend this & certainly wouldn't do another, maybe it was just mine? :hmm:

Sorry to say it but some one needs to tell you , YOU DONT LIVE HERE ANY MORE RODNEY, you did some thing wrong you need to review your brewing actions, Sundew is a very nice beer and none of the things you say so i think its the brewer not the beer, :doh:

Sorry to say it but some one needs to tell you , YOU DONT LIVE HERE ANY MORE RODNEY, you did some thing wrong you need to review your brewing actions, Sundew is a very nice beer and none of the things you say so i think its the brewer not the beer, :doh:
Apart from the fact muddy90's post is well over four years old and he/she may or may not still be with us....
He/she didn't like this beer.
You obviously do.
Different opinions.
Like lots of things in life.
But we all have to get along with each other, and respect opposing points of view.
Simple.

With not a lot of time and too many hyperactive Ankle Bitters about my next AG brew day will have to wait so with an empty FV I opted for this kit as a light summer drink, forgot how easy whacking a kit together was, although it still didn't mix well in the FV when topped up with cold water, initial gravity reading was basically pointless.

But it's in the garage in my cobbled together fementation box and seems to have gone off well, will check on Saturday after a week and see how it's doing and plan to get it into the spare PB to condition.

With not a lot of time and too many hyperactive Ankle Bitters about my next AG brew day will have to wait so with an empty FV I opted for this kit as a light summer drink, forgot how easy whacking a kit together was, although it still didn't mix well in the FV when topped up with cold water, initial gravity reading was basically pointless.

But it's in the garage in my cobbled together fementation box and seems to have gone off well, will check on Saturday after a week and see how it's doing and plan to get it into the spare PB to condition.

dry hop it with 35-50g for a week in the second FV or hop tea it i am not into heavy hopped ale but this takes a few extra i have used liberty and falconers flight with sundew , both take well and make a nice summer quaffer:thumb:

dry hop it with 35-50g for a week in the second FV or hop tea it i am not into heavy hopped ale but this takes a few extra i have used liberty and falconers flight with sundew , both take well and make a nice summer quaffer:thumb:

I was mulling over the idea of giving it a post ferment pimp with some hops, those are varieties I haven't used yet so thanks for the suggestions. :thumb:

I was mulling over the idea of giving it a post ferment pimp with some hops, those are varieties I haven't used yet so thanks for the suggestions. :thumb:
Like Tanzanite, I can recommend dry hopping for this kit. I racked off and then split mine into two halves and dry hopped one with 25g EKG, and the other 25g Cascade to compare. The split batch is in conditioning at present so I can't say how things have gone.
However you could use two hops of your choice, rather than one, and do what I did. :thumb:

sundew is a fairly neutral beer so would take to most hops even east kent goldings if you didnt over do it, So if you have any instock use them up :thumb:

Cheers guys, nothing in the freezer at the moment and it's only been in the FV since Saturday so a bit of time to choose something

Ordered some, great price, will see what it's like and what it does to this brew after a dry hop. :thumb:

Well if the gravity of the beer is suitably low enough tomorrow I'm going to rack off the beer into another Fv and Dry Hop with some Falconers Flight to give it a go, how long would be best for a dry hop?

Well if the gravity of the beer is suitably low enough tomorrow I'm going to rack off the beer into another Fv and Dry Hop with some Falconers Flight to give it a go, how long would be best for a dry hop?
Min four days, max seven as a rule. I do six days, usually with the last two days in the fridge to help drop the yeast. If you don't have a fridge just find a cool place.

Cheers, that might work nicely, if it's ready, for a dry hop then into the PB on Monday.

I made this kit and am drinking now, brewed to 20L and dry hopped after two weeks with 70g cascade for 1 week. Two weeks carbing in a cornie and wow what a beer, perfect for a sunny day. Low bitterness and fruity ale flavours, the cascade is coming through beautifully. Now just need some British sunshine.....

Latest posts

Back