Exploding oven!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crofty83

Regular.
Reaction score
Cooking tea the other evening and BOOM, the glass in the oven door just shattered shooting shards of glass all over the kitchen. Unfortunately for me I was stood right in front of it at the time :-( It's only 6 months old too!

photo1eug.jpg

photo01vp.jpg

photo2wyn.jpg

photo02h.jpg

photo3ezt.jpg

photo03rs.jpg

photo4pv.jpg

photo5kye.jpg

photo11ir.jpg

photo12oa.jpg

photo120d.jpg

photo121t.jpg

I'm fine thanks. Just waiting for IKEA to sort out the complaint now

Had exactly the same result with our year old Lamona, own brand from Howdens. They say it's caused by a hot rack being up against the glass - I said boll***s - and got a replacement.

We weren't in the kitchen, but heard it from the living room when it went off like a bomb, you are the only other case I've heard of :hmm:

Hope you get sorted, you've always got Chinese, Indian, Italian and fish and chips to look forward to for the next few days..... :whistle:

:lol:

:cheers:

We've already had an engineer out to replace the glass so we can use it again now.

We were using a pyrolysis function which basically gets the oven to about 500 degrees and turns all the burnt on food deposits to ash to aid cleaning when it smashed.

The engineer said he thinks there are manufacturing errors on the actually casing that caused the glass to smash when it expanded and pushed against the frame

Imagine what would have happened if that had Been a small child in there with you have you been in touch with the manufacturer?

31bb3 said:
Imagine what would have happened if that had Been a small child in there with you have you been in touch with the manufacturer?

Absolutely :shock:
I've often said to the kids to come and have a look through the glass at what is cooking - shall not be doing that again :nono:

31bb3 said:

IKEA are currently looking into it yes. I have a 15 month daughter and she lies to sit in the kitchen and play with all the plastic containers. Could have been her and not me!

Bloody hell! That looks well dodgy, glad you are ok!

Never heard of that happening before although my oven doesn't have the cleaning setting so I reckon I should be ok with my old school oven :)

I work with glass... it was either glazed in too tightly or the glass might have had a blemish in it.

I've seen toughened glass actually explode in a colleagues hands when he's picked it up several hours after it left the toughening plant (a big oven/quench basically) :shock:

Andy.H said:
I work with glass... it was either glazed in too tightly or the glass might have had a blemish in it.

I've seen toughened glass actually explode in a colleagues hands when he's picked it up several hours after it left the toughening plant (a big oven/quench basically) :shock:

If you look at the last two pictures (the first one is a bit more obvious) The edge where the glass slips under the frame, in the centre there is a defect, or so the engineer said. When the oven has heated up, the glass has expanded against these imperfections and caused it to shatter.

That's what the Whirlpool engineer said anyways.

My tolerance level would have been exceeded with that occurring :shock: especially with children in the house...I wouldn't want it anywhere near them....fixed or not :nono:
Glad you're o.k.

Thanks for all the messages guys.

Finally got a response from IKEA. After more emails/phonecalls with people promising to ring me back and didn't, I got a tad fed up with the whole thing so I decided to send another email. This time to the CEO lol (what harm can it do). The next day I received a phonecall from the UK and ROI contact centre manager saying how sorry the company was for the grossly exaggerated time I had to wait to receive a response and is sending me a Gift Card for £150.

The day after the CEO replied also.

Result

Latest posts

Back