Hello from Hampshire

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old thumper

Reaction score
Hi,
Being at the fermentation stage of my first home brew kit ( i received for xmas ) i'm excited to see the results! Any tips for the second batch?

Thanks

Jack. :cheers:

Welcome along Jack. Being a newcomer to brewing myself I can assure you it's terribly addictive, but at least I know I can produce beers of equal quality to pub-bought ales from kits and therefore save myself a few quid.

What are you brewing currently?

Welcome Jack. Ringwood old Thumper one of my favourites, also my first ever brewery trip.
There are lots of really useful how to guides on the forum. Have a look on the home page for any that may help.

FuzzySteve said:
Welcome along Jack. Being a newcomer to brewing myself I can assure you it's terribly addictive, but at least I know I can produce beers of equal quality to pub-bought ales from kits and therefore save myself a few quid.

What are you brewing currently?

Hi Steve,
I also am finding it addictive, can't stop researching! I'm brewing a youngs bitter brewbuddy kit.
Cheers!
Have a good christmas

Jack.

cnelsonplumber said:
Welcome Jack. Ringwood old Thumper one of my favourites, also my first ever brewery trip.
There are lots of really useful how to guides on the forum. Have a look on the home page for any that may help.

It is my favourite! Thanks, i'll start scanning the forums for info.

Jack.

I can recommend St.Peter's Golden Ale if you prefer a lighter ale, but I've also heard that Woodford Wherry is a good drop, which is on my list to try. I'm currently working my way through a Coopers Ale as I speak, and have a strawberry beer in FV1 for the wife and I in the early spring months.

FuzzySteve said:
I can recommend St.Peter's Golden Ale if you prefer a lighter ale, but I've also heard that Woodford Wherry is a good drop, which is on my list to try. I'm currently working my way through a Coopers Ale as I speak, and have a strawberry beer in FV1 for the wife and I in the early spring months.

Sounds good Steve!
So would you suggest just experimenting by trying different malt extracts to start with?

Jack.

I'm currently on with kits, but I have purchased the extract and hop ingredients for a clone of Hobsons Town Crier. I dare say you could purely go through kits without venturing deeper into brewing, but I eventually wish to progress into all-grain brewing. I guess it's just a natural progression ;)

i started with a coopers stout, soon to do the irish stout.....wilkinsons have a sale on at the mo 20% off so have a look there, they do one similar to newkie brown which is on my hit list

FuzzySteve said:
I'm currently on with kits, but I have purchased the extract and hop ingredients for a clone of Hobsons Town Crier. I dare say you could purely go through kits without venturing deeper into brewing, but I eventually wish to progress into all-grain brewing. I guess it's just a natural progression ;)

I want to get into all-grain as well, however just thought making a few simple batches of half decent beer would be a good start. what simple ingredients could be aded to home brew kits?

Happy brewing!

Jack.

billy994 said:
i started with a coopers stout, soon to do the irish stout.....wilkinsons have a sale on at the mo 20% off so have a look there, they do one similar to newkie brown which is on my hit list

I plan to visit my wilkos this week, their pressure barrels look good. So just plain and simple treacle as an extra?

Thanks

Jack. :thumb:

You could always try dry hopping a brew when you shift from a primary FV to the secondary. I've not felt the need so far with kits, but I'd imagine if you go with all-grain, and you settle into brewing a few favourites, dry hopping could add a whole new dimension to your brew. You can obviously do it with kits or biab as well.

on you tube whatsbrewinguk...irish stout with treacle and brown sugar..supposed to be very good

FuzzySteve said:
You could always try dry hopping a brew when you shift from a primary FV to the secondary. I've not felt the need so far with kits, but I'd imagine if you go with all-grain, and you settle into brewing a few favourites, dry hopping could add a whole new dimension to your brew. You can obviously do it with kits or biab as well.

Thanks, I think i'll leave the experimenting for the future.

Jack.

Latest posts

Back