getting ready for bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok so im getting ready for bottling...
heres my bottles that i have so far...
iv got 8 of the brown ones
and 22 of the green ones ...
001_zpsad75ccba.jpg

002_zps07db9cb0.jpg

all washed out ready to sanitise on the day of bottling...
thanks to my son ...i now have a bottle capper and caps.. :thumb: .

003_zpseb221821.jpg

also i have a new pack of 500ml amber better brew plastic beer bottles and caps ...
001_zps89929472.jpg

and about 40ish grolsch bottles ....
heres some of them ... :thumb: ..
003-78.jpg

your coments are more than welcome ...

regards mick.... :hat: .

That will keep you busy! You could try priming different bottles with different sugars to see what happens. Or are you going to batch prime?

winelight said:
That will keep you busy! You could try priming different bottles with different sugars to see what happens. Or are you going to batch prime?

thanks winelight... :thumb: .

not sure...
i was going to do each bottle as not sure how to batch prime...

regards mick... :hat: .

mick may said:
winelight said:

not sure...

I would definitely recommend batch priming, it's a much better process IMO.

It's very simple Mick, nothing hard at all. Simply clean and sterilise your spare FV. Add 130g of sugar to a mug and pour in boiling water. Stir till it's fully dissolved and then add it to the newly clean/sterile FV. Syphon from your secondary on top of the sugar/water solution. When it's transferred gently stir the contents to make sure the sugar is fully distributed, try not to splash the beer. Once done, simply transfer into bottles, cap and store at 20 degrees for 14 days, then as cold as you can for a month.

Then... just enjoy :D

ScottM said:
mick may said:
winelight said:

not sure...

I would definitely recommend batch priming, it's a much better process IMO.

It's very simple Mick, nothing hard at all. Simply clean and sterilise your spare FV. Add 130g of sugar to a mug and pour in boiling water. Stir till it's fully dissolved and then add it to the newly clean/sterile FV. Syphon from your secondary on top of the sugar/water solution. When it's transferred gently stir the contents to make sure the sugar is fully distributed, try not to splash the beer. Once done, simply transfer into bottles, cap and store at 20 degrees for 14 days, then as cold as you can for a month.

Then... just enjoy :D

ok thanks scott...
batch priming it is then...

make sure you boil the sugar with water for 5 mins before using , not just mixing with boiling water !! , You've just sanitized everything you've done except the sugar which may of been touched by everyone in the bowl etc

pittsy said:
make sure you boil the sugar with water for 5 mins before using , not just mixing with boiling water !! , You've just sanitized everything you've done except the sugar which may of been touched by everyone in the bowl etc

thank you pittsy.. :thumb: .

i will do as you say ...
but im going to use a wilko brewing sugar ...
from a un open bag ...
as its says its a faster and cleaner fermentation...

pittsy said:

I wouldn't worry about that at all. Boiling water will sanitise everything on contact IMO. Never had an issue yet and all I do is dump in a cup full from the kettle. Granted it sits for a few minutes while I stir it in, as it takes a while to go clear. But even by the time I'm pouring it into the FV it's still 80 degrees plus.

mick may said:
pittsy said:

i will do as you say ...
from a un open bag ...

You don't need to worry about that for the priming sugar. I personally wouldn't open up a fresh bag of brewing sugar just to do some priming, if I had some left over then yeah probably. Priming sugar can be just about anything fermentable, cheaper the better :D

Great to use the good stuff when fermenting, definitely don't waste your money when bottling :)

ScottM said:
mick may said:
pittsy said:

i will do as you say ...
from a un open bag ...

You don't need to worry about that for the priming sugar. I personally wouldn't open up a fresh bag of brewing sugar just to do some priming, if I had some left over then yeah probably. Priming sugar can be just about anything fermentable, cheaper the better :D

Great to use the good stuff when fermenting, definitely don't waste your money when bottling :)

thanks scott... :thumb: .
but it was cheep from wilkos....

and i dont use sugar ...

so i would have to buy the sugar anyway...
ill use this ...
regards mick ... :hat: .

ok i took my last reading today ...
its still 1.012...
so i think thats 3 times now at the same reading over a week ...

ill be bottling eather today or sunday ....
depending on what iv got on today ...

i have got some sugar from a mate ...
so will be using that instead of my brewing sugar ....
i got 160g of white T/L sugar ...

in a sanitised tub....

but you said scott to only use 130g ...
so thats what ill do ...

ill up date this post after i have done my bottling ...

Someone on another thread recommended dropping that back to 100. Not sure what to tell you mate, as this is my first time brewing the coopers as well. Half the amount of carbonation does seem like a bit of a drop compared to lager, but the last thing you want is a pint of head :D

Maybe split the difference with 115? That way it won't be over fizzy and if it's down a bit, it'll only be a little. You will be able to judge it from there for next time :)

ScottM said:
Someone on another thread recommended dropping that back to 100. Not sure what to tell you mate, as this is my first time brewing the coopers as well. Half the amount of carbonation does seem like a bit of a drop compared to lager, but the last thing you want is a pint of head :D

Maybe split the difference with 115? That way it won't be over fizzy and if it's down a bit, it'll only be a little. You will be able to judge it from there for next time :)

ok scott thanks bud.... :thumb:

to be fair i think stout doesnt need to much fizz ...
so i think ill go with the 115g...

as you said it will be a good judge for next time ....

regards mick.... :hat: .

what is it you have brewed , if it is a bitter i would aim for 80/100g , if it was a lager then 150g is wanted , so you get the idea of what's what , i do my hefeweizen for 23L batch 150g.

pittsy said:
what is it you have brewed , if it is a bitter i would aim for 80/100g , if it was a lager then 150g is wanted , so you get the idea of what's what , i do my hefeweizen for 23L batch 150g.

thanks pittsy... :thumb:
its a coopers stout....
iv gone with 115g ...
if its wrong ill change it next time ...

Just bottling myself. Usually use 100g but as you say, you'll know next time if it turns out to be too fizzy.

ok so its done ....
i sanitised every thing bottles /the tops my fv pipes ect...
i boiled the grolcsh tops and rubber seals for 20 minets...
then after it was all sanitised i boiled my sugar ...
then took it all up to my bedroom and went about bottling ...
wow it took from start to finish 3hrs ...
every thing now washed and put away ...

except the bottles there in my bedroom for the nexr 2 weeks ...
i used 4 diferant size and type bottles some glass some plastic ...
to see if it makes it taste different...

heres some pics ....

006_zpsa35d9e69.jpg

007_zps9c07f0fb.jpg

008_zpsae158574.jpg

009_zpsf9009c0a.jpg

010_zpsa727f96b.jpg

011_zpsee56d5c6.jpg

012_zps3120c912.jpg

yes i did put boiling water in with the sugar...

013_zpsd804fdce.jpg

this is scamp my little jack ....
shes saying come on play with me now...
iv been so good sat here waiting ...
017_zps54fd29af.jpg

021_zpsfdfab841.jpg

job done ....
then in 6 weeks it will be time to :drink: ...

Looks like you did a great job mate, well done! Hope everything works out well for you :)

Latest posts

Back