pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use three of these Mick, they're good value for money but as they only cost £20 from wilko I wouldn't bid too much on it :thumb:
If you do win the sale, it'd be well worth investing in an s30 or pin valve lid :thumb:
:cheers:

These can be bought new for £40 per barrel with the extra S30 pin valve, sparklet adapter and a pack of sparklets.

I bought 2 of them and I find them fantastic. Delivery was free too.

Remember that you will need to top up the pressure at one point so the S30 valve is a necessity.

eggman said:
I use three of these Mick, they're good value for money but as they only cost £20 from wilko I wouldn't bid too much on it :thumb:
If you do win the sale, it'd be well worth investing in an s30 or pin valve lid :thumb:

thanks eggman... :thumb: .

i have been looking at them in wilkos...
and i still have the top of my old one ....
with a pin valve in it ... :D

regards mick... :hat: .

ScottM said:
These can be bought new for £40 per barrel with the extra S30 pin valve, sparklet adapter and a pack of sparklets.

Remember that you will need to top up the pressure at one point so the S30 valve is a necessity.

iv still got my old screw cap with the pin valve in it ....
and 9 canisters ...
just need a barral now .... :D .

mick may said:
ScottM said:

iv still got my old screw cap with the pin valve in it ....
and 9 canisters ...
just need a barral now .... :D .

Ideal then :D

I have one of these and it does the job. They can be a little harder to clean than some other kegs because of the small cap which doesn't allow you to get your hand in. Be careful not to over tighten the cap as the seal twists and won't hold pressure. You really don't need to have the cap as tight as you think u would. Overall a good keg for a budget price

BREWMCROFT said:
I have one of these and it does the job. They can be a little harder to clean than some other kegs because of the small cap which doesn't allow you to get your hand in. Be careful not to over tighten the cap as the seal twists and won't hold pressure. You really don't need to have the cap as tight as you think u would. Overall a good keg for a budget price

thanks BREWMCROFT :thumb: .

im so glad to said about not tighten the cap to much ...
as im a sod for doing just that...
i tend to over tighten everything... :oops:

so ill have to remember this...

BREWMCROFT said:
You really don't need to have the cap as tight as you think u would. Overall a good keg for a budget price
Good advice :thumb: Over tightening is the main cause of problems with these kegs but once you get the hang of it they're great value for money

eggman said:
BREWMCROFT said:
You really don't need to have the cap as tight as you think u would. Overall a good keg for a budget price
Good advice :thumb: Over tightening is the main cause of problems with these kegs but once you get the hang of it they're great value for money

yes thanks eggman.. :thumb: .

ill defo get one ....
from a shop or ebay.... ;) ..

BREWMCROFT said:

I've not had any problems cleaning mine. If you can't get your hand in the top, unscrew the tap and stick a bottle brush in at the bottom. Failing that, after an initial rinse, soak the barrel in an unscented oxy solution for an hour or so. That'll get the crud out before you sanitise it ready for use again.

DamageCase said:
BREWMCROFT said:

I've not had any problems cleaning mine. If you can't get your hand in the top, unscrew the tap and stick a bottle brush in at the bottom. Failing that, after an initial rinse, soak the barrel in an unscented oxy solution for an hour or so. That'll get the crud out before you sanitise it ready for use again.

thank you DamageCase.. :thumb: .

iv got a few long bottle brushes so thats good to no ...

and if there no good ill get some cleaning fluid / solution...

but i have to get the barral first ... :D .

eggman said:
BREWMCROFT said:
Yup I'd agree with you there, both of mine started to leak at the cap despite replacing the washers. I changed to cornies so need to get rid of the barrels.

springtime said:
eggman said:
BREWMCROFT said:
Yup I'd agree with you there, both of mine started to leak at the cap despite replacing the washers. I changed to cornies so need to get rid of the barrels.

hi springtime ... :thumb: .

i dont understand if you have changed the washers....
why are they still leaking ???

i must say this is giving me second thoughts about getting a barral now :wha: ....

Hi Mick,
Maybe I just tighten them too much. My other concern was the barrels were bowing at the base too much for my liking and one of the taps was beginning to drip.
All in all I felt that it just wasn't worth continuing with them with excessive use of co2 bulbs and the chance of losing my precious beer so cornies were the way to go.

Sounds like you over pressured them. If they leak, just untwist the lid slightly (not all the way) and relieve a little pressure. Other than an initial squirt to protect the beer the secondary fermentation normally makes for enough carbonation until the barrel is at least 2 thirds of the way down.

springtime said:
Hi Mick,
Maybe I just tighten them too much. My other concern was the barrels were bowing at the base too much for my liking and one of the taps was beginning to drip.
All in all I felt that it just wasn't worth continuing with them with excessive use of co2 bulbs and the chance of losing my precious beer so cornies were the way to go.

hi springtime... :thumb: .
mabe you are doing them to tight ...
but it sounds like they have lots of things giving you problems...

mabe you should chuck them away ....

if it was just the caps i would have been interested ...
as i cant pay cornie prices...

They are quite fiddly to someone of my DIY capabilities :oops: ,but once you've set them up ok they're great. I had 3 but one of them sprang a leak ,it was a split in the seam and had to be binned ,luckily I saved the Nelsons Revenge in it.
I've just bought 2 more from Wilkos.

Pearlfisher said:
They are quite fiddly to someone of my DIY capabilities :oops: ,but once you've set them up ok they're great. I had 3 but one of them sprang a leak ,it was a split in the seam and had to be binned ,luckily I saved the Nelsons Revenge in it.
I've just bought 2 more from Wilkos.

hi Pearlfisher ... :thumb: .

i like the idea of them ...
but my trust in them has gone ...
i think ill stick to bottles ...

I look at it this way, an economy barrel plus co2 pin valve is gonna cost around £33, then you need the red bulb holder that's gonna cost you another couple of quid. Two of these barrels and you are into the price of a 19ltr cornie keg.
Both of my economy barrels have only lasted me about 9 months before various issues.
The cornie keg will last a lifetime.

Back