Advice needed on yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew_pullin

Reaction score
Hi all

Im having a bottling session tonight and want to reuse the yeast as it was a Whitelab's, can anyone help with the process i need to follow. Im hoping to use it over bank holiday weekend in a brew. Im setting up a bit of stock rotation this will be my 3rd AG brew in as many months :D. Im also hoping if possible to split it into two and let my mate have some as he will be doing his first mini AG brew this weekend too, but that would be 2nd priority. I should point out its been in the primary FV for 3 weeks, 2 at 20 deg 1 at 13-14 ish.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good "how to"?

As all ways any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

This is the advice given by 'bobsbeer' on Saturday

You can wash the yeast. Take about 1/2 lt of the trub and add about 1/2 lt cooled boiled water. Give it a good stir and let it settle. The the dead yeast and other stuff will settle out leaving the live yeast in suspension. Pour off the upper half into another container. Then you can re activate the yeast by adding some sugar.

yep you can do as taxi says, except don't use sugar :nono: use some cooled wort from your boil or make up some DME 1:10 with cooled boiled water

You should never use sugar as the yeast will switch metabolism and will not be fit when you switch back to wort.

Never had a problem with 1 tsp sugar, but DME or wort would be better if you have them. There is no need to wash the yeast if you are going to re use it fairly quickly. Use about a litre of trub and chuck it in the next brew. Works for me every time. Dead yeast cells are a good nutrient for live yeast. It will keep in the fridge for a few days, but let it come up to room temp before chucking it in.

agreed, keep as much as you can, apart from the clear stuff at the top, thats apparently got the most bacteria (someone somewhere has done a proper investigation i read),

otherwise hoard and reuse,

might be worth keeping a sample or two in some boiled water in the fridge, so can resurrect when need to reuse, keeps good for at least 3 months...

Thanks for the prompt feedback, so working on that premise i can siphon off all my beer and split the leftovers between two sterilized containers top up with cooled boiled water, put in the fridge untill next weekend. Then wake it up with a DME starter at room temp the day before brewing?

Cheers guys, ill keep a packet or two of dried on standby just in case.

Hopefully it will be another brewing technique mastered!!

Sorry for the bump but can you freeze the turb? will the yeast go into hibernation or will it just die?

Back