Dead Stout!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monte Cristo

Impressive Member
Reaction score
Evening Chaps, I think i may have a slight problem with my stout.
It is a Milestone Black pearl Irish stout 2 can kit, I made it following the enclosed instructions and followed them to the letter. The yeast was pitched in at 22c as per instructions and i have had the FV sitting in a water bath at 22.5c for the last 36 hours and nothing is happening, no froth, no bubbles, nothing!!!
Every thing was sanitised and thorough rinsed, the temperatures were correct, it does state in the instructions that fermentation will begin within 24 hours. This is the fourth brew I have done and have had no problems with the others!

Any of you chaps got any thoughts on this?

Did you take an OG reading? You could take a gravity reading and see if it has changed. The hydrometer is the only sure way to know if fermentation is happening. I would actually give it a little longer before worrying as the lag time can be quite long, although I have no experience of this kit.

Yes the sg was 1040 as the instructions suggested, I was just under the impression that stout kits went like the clappers fermentation wise!

Leave it another 24 hours, some just start slower than others due to a whole host of reasons. When it gets going it'll be off like a rocket.

Latest posts

Back