soda stream

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey1967

Reaction score
I am making 3 types of wine at the moment 2 clearing nice. and was thinking seen as fruit wines could I put some ina soda stream to make it fizzy wine would this effect the flavour?
btw have not got a soda stream but seen one on gumtree cheap but would only use it for wine lol
anyone use this?

I've seen guys do it successfully and apparently it can work well, although control over the level of carbonation isn't fantastic. If it's under add more, if it's over, open it up and let it sit for a while before drinking.

Over time I should imagine it wouldn't be very good for the soda stream mind you.

It works, but lots of gas is wasted, possibly due to the presence of alcohol. For best results, make sure the wine is very chilled in the sodastream bottle first, filled to the 1 litre mark. Pour carefully and steadily into a chilled wine bottle, held at an angle. Champagne bottles are not required as the the pressure is not great, but re-use of screw tops is inadvisable. I used plastic champagne stoppers with wire cages. Leave at least an inch of airspace below the stopper. The stoppers can be re-used but not the cages. Top up the sodastream bottle with another bottle of chilled wine and repeat. There will always be some wine left over to drink at the end. I used it to improve a dull dry white wine. Cost is about 50 p per bottle for gas, plus the stopper and cage. I could only get gas refills from Comet, who have gone out of business.

If you want a whole batch of sparkling wine you can bottle it in to suitable bottles and add priming sugar before you stabilise the wine/yeast. Much easier than using a soda stream for lots of bottles.

Not so. If you add stabiliser after the priming sugar, you lose all the pressure. Priming unstabilised wine will make it sparkling, but then you have to get rid of the sediment, which is a tricky business. There are more sophisticated ways of carbonating, but the equipment is expensive.
Conscious of their carbon footprint, wineries are now starting to capture the co2 they produce during fermentation and selling it on, possibly to fizzy drink manufacturers or even Sodastream!
How much is produced by a gallon of wine? Somewhat less than half of the bulk of the sugar, about 450 g. per kilo is lost as gas.

Sorry I worded that badly, I did not mean to suggest stabilizing the wine after adding priming sugar.

When I do mine I draw off a bottle full and add priming sugar. Then rack the rest to a clean DJ with stabilizer to bottle a couple of days later. So my thought process was a little confused :wha:

Latest posts

Back