AG #110 Lou (oat stout)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgoda

Landlord.
Reaction score
This gonna be brewed on Friday night, recipe is inspired by 1909 Maclay's OMS, as published by Ron Pattinson and Kristen England. Not exact, but close. Yes, the one with linseed and licorice.

Fermentables:
pale malt 3.5 kgms
oat malt 1.0 kgms
black malt 0.5 kgms
amber malt 0.2 kgms
No.2 invert 0.45 kgms

Hops, spices and extras:
Challenger 60 gms
linseed, ground 25 gms
licorice, ground 15 gms
caramel colorant 9000 EBC 100 gms

Yeast: Wyeast Scottish Ale

This was planned for my batch #100 but postponed a bit.

Brew length 21 litres, anticipated OG 1.064 @77% eff, 40 IBU, ~160 EBC, est. 6.5% ABV

Mash 68c -> 65c for 90 mins (12.5 ltrs water) then 15 mins mash out by infusion of 6 ltrs water at boil. Sparge with ~13 ltrs water. Boil time 75 mins.

Oat malt is German Steinbach (huskless). I'm not sure should I add licorice and linseed either to mash or to boil, will try boil option this time.

very interesting z, good luck with it :cheers:

I got a recipe from Ron's blog last week for a 1885 Younger XP IPA which I'll brew in the new year.

Some piccies

Malts:
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

All fermentables:
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Ready to mash in:
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

You gonna be brewing into the night then , looks interesting . No idea how this would taste though , hope it goes well .

I have night shifts in brewery every other Friday. ;)

It's brewed, now fermenting in 18c. As expected, foam was very sorry and subsidies instantly - linseed has high fat content. I'd say viscosity is barely increased compared to all barley wort, not even close to rye wort, perhaps it's related to Steinbach oat malt which is huskless and might have less beta glucans than Fawcett.

It was black as night even before adding caramel colorant. :D

Bottled this yesterday. Finished at 1.018 and that gives 6% abv. Even uncarbed it's quite tasty. No, it's simply delicious. Thick as oil on palate, burnt from caramel and sweet from licorice. And bitter as hell, but this will mellow eventually.

Highly recommended.

I could not resist myself from sampling.

Perfect carbonation. Head nice brown but dissipates very quickly. Bit rough but shows potential - very chewy, full mouth of bitterness from black malt but not much from hops. Warming alcohol means it's still very young. The most exciting part is the aroma of chocolate, coffee, tons of dark fruits and then old-school lollipops. I love it. Superb.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Mellows rather quickly. All rough flavours are gone, now it's a heavy yet satin like thing. Full of lollipop goodness, luscious and warming. Licorice, stone fruits, lollipops, and berries. Next time I'll add more hops.

Totally different from porridge stouts you can have on daily basis, this beer emerged to be my another "special brew" I'm going to repeat regularly.

And you should too. :)

zgoda said:
Mellows rather quickly. All rough flavours are gone, now it's a heavy yet satin like thing. Full of lollipop goodness, luscious and warming. Licorice, stone fruits, lollipops, and berries. Next time I'll add more hops.

Totally different from porridge stouts you can have on daily basis, this beer emerged to be my another "special brew" I'm going to repeat regularly.

And you should too. :)

We need photos of the final product :drink:

Uninteresting, because of linseed it has poor head retention, other than that it's black as night. 100 gms caramel colorant rated at 9500 EBC did the trick.

Will try to take photo anyway, I just need to find a moment when my wife is out, she would drink it when left unattended otherwise. :D

There.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Now it's extremely smooth, like silk. Stone fruits and 70's-era lollipops. Not enough hops.

Latest posts

Back