? safale 05 yeast hydration cockup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHopper

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am experimenting with a wherry kit and safale 05 yeast (as per previous post). i usually pitch dry yeast but thought id rehydrate to be flash! Problem is i didnt check temp of water. My brew is very slow to get going (put it on at 8pm last night and at 9am this morning only occasional bubbles from airlock) I dont think the temp of yeast hydrating water was above 28c but that is outside the yeast fermentation range. is there any risk that ive killed it??? my brew is thermostatically controlled at around 18c. Any ideas? Having not used this yeast before I dont know if it takes a while to get going at that temp. Cheers for any help!!

Don't worry on your wherry (sorry ) as long as the yeast wasn't too hot you won't of killed em . By this evening you should have a kausen .

Phew, thanks peeps. Any tips on optimum temp for the yeast to ferment at. Cheers again

I'd say keep it at 18 for at least a couple of days then slowly raise and finish at 20. I've got a small beer fermenting at the mo at 17 and it's going well. It may take a little longer but you won't get any off flavours to mop up and the beer will be drinkable sooner :cheers:

Back