Fermenting 50lts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormybrew

Reaction score
Almost good to go brewing with my new 50 lts brewery, but just have a quick question regarding first fermentation

I only have a couple of 5 gallon fermenting bins, any problems using these to do the first fermentation in? I'm planning on using a couple of king kegs for secondary fermentation and then onto kegs.

Are there any 50lts fermenting bins out there or what do people use when brewing 50lts brews or larger brews?

Tks
Stormy

I split my brew between two 25 litre fermenters and usually use different yeasts in each one so I get 2 different beers.

There are various large fermenters around but none that I can lift when full or that fit in my fermenting fridges.

Thanks

I think Runwell is right, 25lts in a fermenting bin is weighty enough, not sure how I'd move something larger!

If there's no problem in splitting the first fermentation and combining it later in the same serving keg, then two fermenting bins seems the way forward

I've been using this [clicky here] from the same place.

It takes 2 people to lift it when full (11/12 gals) - or you can just about struggle it onto a bench. The other technique I've been using is to pump into it using one of the little solar projects pumps. Did this yesterday out of one into another FV1 to FV. This saves lifting.

The other advantage is it's got a fully sealable lid - so slooshing that happens when lifting doesn't spill, and it means you can keep beer in as a FV2 for several weeks without worrying about airborne infections. There's an airlock, or you can go fully sealed as there are two different screw caps that come with it. It has a tap on it, which I replaced with one of the black ones for compatibility with the rest of my equipment.

Bit more costly, but does the job well. I've ended up with 3 of them now, so can do 2 x 12 gal brews in parallel (with one in reserve to rack into).

Airlock cap is also just the right size for using Vossy's hose as a blow off tube... (ok I know I'm asking for it with that comment)

Latest posts

Back