whats best for starting off

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willyhorton

Reaction score
im new to the world of brewing and im going to buy a starter kit keg / bin etc etc... and try a milestone crusader to start off, am I best leaving it in the tapped keg or bottling it, ??? what will give a better result, if bottle I will have to invest in a capper top.
all tips welcome pls. but keep it jargon free lol

The decision on whether to keg or bottle depends on two things mainly:-
1. How quickly do you intend to drink it? In a keg, without a method of injecting carbon dioxide onto the beer after each drinking session, the beer will deteriorate quite rapidly. If you drink some and then blanket what is left with CO2 after each session it'll last longer. I did a keg for Xmas and there were about 7 litres left after the boys went home so I bottled it. The bottles are better quality ale than the barrel was due to being kept longer.
2. Have you got any bottles? If you have, unless they are Grolsh type flip-tops, then you will definitley need a capper.
Graham

sounds like bottle is the way forward to be honest, I haven't got any bottles at the moment but think im gonna have to invest in some, . coz im new to this, once the beer is done do I c02 the keg then bottle it or is there another way

Go to your local pub and ask for their empty bottles, most publicans are more that happy to give you them as they have to pay for their collection and recycling otherwise. Get yourself a decent capper and some new caps and you are sorted :thumb:

Hi and welcome.
For me it seems that it is all a time / money / effort trade off. What you can or are prepared to spend will usually off set some labour.
Looks like you get a barrel with your kit? Does it come with any gas or fitting on the barrel to inject gas?

Have a look around at some other pressure barrels and gas that is required to dispense the beer. You may want to consider buying separate kit and bottling your first few brews....then move on to a barrel.
Have you got a budget?
Bottles are easy. You can pick up suitable types free, or save them as you consume bought beer. But they have to be cleaned and sanitised.....around 40 per brew :lol: and you will need to buy some crown caps and a capping tool.
Bottles are easy to put in the fridge.

A keg is less intensive labour wise....one vessel to clean and sanitise. Cost outlay for the barrel, get as good as you can afford IMO if you go down that route.
You will need additional gas to dispense the beer....most people I know started with the Hambleton Bard gas cylinders and a barrel that accepts the S30 fitting. There are other systems available and all have an initial out lay and on going cost that you need to consider.
Keeping the barrel cool requires suitable space or fridge.

Hope that helps....good luck :D

Personally I much prefer bottling to pressure barrels. Far more convenient and far less problems. The only brewing disasters I have had so far have need due to barrels.

+1 Colin - however when your 20something sons are descending on you for Xmas the keg was the easier option. Then I got to bottle what was left.
Graham

That kits works out at £64.45 for a beer kit, bucket, some basic gear and some bottles. It can be done much cheaper if you want to save money but it will do the job.

I recently bought the kit to brew a simple tin from Wilkos for about £22 in their sale. That's without any bottles and only using household sugar, mind.

Bucket - £6.80
Airlock & Bung - £2.40
Syphon - £2
Hydrometer - £2.80
Plastic Stirring Spoon - 96p

Wilko's Hoppy Copper Tin - £8

I bought two of the wherry kits which come with pressure barrels and CO2 injector. Before my first brew was out of the FV, I had already changed my mind and decided to go with bottles instead. My principal reason was to slow down the rate that I would otherwise drink it (ie if it were in a pressure barrel I would sup a lot more beer to avoid it going to waste).

Bottles are a bit more of a faff when compared to a barrel due to cleaning, sanitising and some of the additional gear that you may need like a bottle tree, bottle washer, capper etc but as others have mentioned already, that just makes life easier for you so you can get away with scrounged bottles and a capper/caps or just get a kit with some PET bottles to start with and see how you go.
My pressure barrels wont get used unless I am planning a party at the house when they will come into their own.

+1 Rompy You can't go wrong with a few basic bits if kit in the Wilkos sale. Add a Coopers kit as they seem consistently decent and you are off and running cheaply. I wouldn't put your first attempt in a pressure barrel as there are too many possible problems with leaks etc. you can use ole coke pet bottles etc if you want to do it cheaply.
Another tip which will help is look on YouTube for people brewing kits. Nothing beats watching someone else actually doing it.

Latest posts

Back