RokDok's brick oven

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RokDok

Regular.
Reaction score
Sorry I can't make the Spring Thing this year hope you have a great time, hope to make it next year. Current project is building a wood fired brick oven. I've been planning it for ages and have only recently got the go ahead from swimbo.The idea is that it can be got up to really hot temperatures- 450 degs plus to do authentic pizza, flat bread or anything that needs to be cooked hot and fast- fresh fish, tandoori stuff etc. You can then take the fire out and with the retained heat bake bread - or slow cook food overnight. The fact that it could also be used for kilning malted grain also hasn't been lost on me!.I'm about a third of the way through and thought you guys might be interested.Last year when I didn't have permission from swimbo I built a base on castors out of oak sleepers, but hen realised that it was going to weight more than the 1.5 tons that the castors would hold, helen wouldn't let me nibble a bit of her flower bed to permanently put it hence no action for a year. However a new bathroom, toilet suite, promise of a new car, and just generally being a really nice bloke/husband has got me permission. So here's what I made last year- I've had to dismantle it and the aim is to put it on a permanent concrete base.
f1b009a0d9b5489ea9820dba338883bb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Was waiting on a friend to put some Portland stone slab down for me on top of the concrete so whilst I was waiting I did a bit of a dry run of the first part of the build- heres a preview
photo-4.jpg
Update tomorrow Cheers RD

Looks good, Portland stone? Sounds expensive is that what they call a Portland Bill? (I'll get my coat)

Sorry I can't make the Spring Thing this year hope you have a great time, hope to make it next year. Current project is building a wood fired brick oven. I've been planning it for ages and have only recently got the go ahead from swimbo.The idea is that it can be got up to really hot temperatures- 450 degs plus to do authentic pizza, flat bread or anything that needs to be cooked hot and fast- fresh fish, tandoori stuff etc. You can then take the fire out and with the retained heat bake bread - or slow cook food overnight. The fact that it could also be used for kilning malted grain also hasn't been lost on me!.I'm about a third of the way through and thought you guys might be interested.Last year when I didn't have permission from swimbo I built a base on castors out of oak sleepers, but hen realised that it was going to weight more than the 1.5 tons that the castors would hold, helen wouldn't let me nibble a bit of her flower bed to permanently put it hence no action for a year. However a new bathroom, toilet suite, promise of a new car, and just generally being a really nice bloke/husband has got me permission. So here's what I made last year- I've had to dismantle it and the aim is to put it on a permanent concrete base.
f1b009a0d9b5489ea9820dba338883bb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow - that's beautiful! How much was all that oak? Also how many people were needed to lift each section into place? It's an absolute monster!

Takes four to lift the top section- the oak sleepers weren't cheap, you can though get slightly smaller ones form Dorset timber which start at about £20 for a short one. RD

Back