Another noob juice cider help thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdogg

Reaction score
Hi, thought I would give juice cider a go, followed some very simple instructions I found online but it's been 72 hours since I started and my SG hasn't budged, although I do have a thick foamy substance floating on the top. I'll post a pic when I figure out how. Is something wrong or is this normal?

Anyway here is what I have done. Forgive the probably incorrect terms.

5 gallon Plastic bucket with bottling tap for primary fermentation, plastic lid with no airlock.
17 litres of asda apple juice from concentrate
6 litres of asda forest fruits juice from concentrate
Cider yeast (from Homebrew online)

Sterilised all equipment with vwp steriliser powder
Poured all juice into bucket
Sprinkled cider yeast on top and stirred in well
Loosely placed lid on top and left alone
Temp has been between 18-20c
Starting SG was 1.050
72 hours later SG still 1.050

Have I done things terribly wrong and should just tip the lot and start again or am I just being impatient and all will be good in the end?

Thanks for reading! :cheers:

Photo of foam and the yeast I've used, if that helps my query

image.jpg

From the photo of the brew in the fermenting bucket it looks to be fermenting, just put the lid on and give it a bit more time

If thats the case (which I hope) then why does my hydrometer still show the same reading from 72 hours ago?

If thats the case (which I hope) then why does my hydrometer still show the same reading from 72 hours ago?

Did you take the tempture of the wort before you took the hydrometer readings? I think most hydrometer are made to be at there most accurate at 60f for the best SG readings At the very least to be sure of consistency in readings all readings need to be taken at the same temperature, if you use them at the same temperature at least it will be consistent enough to tell if it's fermenting or not

can't see anything wrong with your method chief..

a couple more days should hopefully see the sg drop, don't know why it hasn't already

18-20 is on the cooler end of the range I would say is optimum fermenting temp (in my limited experience) , I usually have mine going at around 25deg in the summer and it races through fermentation

Ok thanks for the replies, my confiidence is boosted. Hopefully in a few more days the SG will drop. Will keep you posted (if ur really that interested) :)

yes please do,, I have had (and still do !) many WTF? moments that are usually answered in someones post on here haha

Happy days, we have fermentation! Started fizzing like mad yesterday afternoon, checked SG today and it has started to drop. Thanks for the info/advice folks

Happy days, we have fermentation! Started fizzing like mad yesterday afternoon, checked SG today and it has started to drop. Thanks for the info/advice folks

Brewing is a funny old game, what seems like the same brews will ferment out in days and then again will take weeks!
I suspect the action initially in your brew with no noticeable SG movement was due more to the yeast multiplying.
I currently have a robinsons squash fruit punch on the go, it should be a fast fermenting but it decicided to take its time to get going, now two weeks in its still fermenting really strongly, it clearly doesn't realise I have twenty year old daughters who keep asking me when it will be ready so they can invite frinds around for a bbq and a knees up :wha:

Latest posts

Back