Saisonon, on, on

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManseMasher

Regular.
Reaction score
So this is what I'm thinking for a 23l batch - 90 minute boil

5kg 2-row Belgian Pilsner malt
1kg Munich malt
250g Special B
30g EKG @ 90
20g Progress @ 60
20g EKG @ 0
10g Motueka @ 0
Whitelabs WLP#566 Belgian Saison II yeast (courtesy of Niman - thank you!)

Estimated SG 1060, FG 1009 (hopefully lower, will raise fermentation temp to 25/26°c after a couple of days, maybe even start at 24 and raise to 28).

IBU 27.6 EBC 23.5, estimated ABV 6.6%.

Any thoughts, additions, subtractions?

I don't think you need the special B for a saison. If you want to use it at all, 250g will be far too much in that size batch but I'd personally save that for a darker beer.

That yeast will go far lower than 1.009 so I'd also factor that in. You're likely to end up at 1.005 or lower so it'll be stronger than you're expecting.

If you want to be authentic you probably want to sub out some grain with sugar. If you go with 5kg grain in all and 500g sugar it'll be nice and light.

The Motueka will give it a bit more of a modern "craft beer" twist if that's what you want.

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran.../content/106-recette-biere-saison&prev=search

Aiming for something like this....

Tinkered on beersmith, dropped the Special B down to 2% (I like a darker, more malty Saison). Added 500g sugar, taken away 500g munich. I'm expecting the yeast to go quite a bit lower, especially with high fermentation temp. I always find it interesting to compare the actual end result with those predicted by the various recipe engines.

I don't think you need the special B for a saison. If you want to use it at all, 250g will be far too much in that size batch but I'd personally save that for a darker beer.

That yeast will go far lower than 1.009 so I'd also factor that in. You're likely to end up at 1.005 or lower so it'll be stronger than you're expecting.

If you want to be authentic you probably want to sub out some grain with sugar. If you go with 5kg grain in all and 500g sugar it'll be nice and light.

The Motueka will give it a bit more of a modern "craft beer" twist if that's what you want.

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran.../content/106-recette-biere-saison&prev=search

Aiming for something like this....

Tinkered on beersmith, dropped the Special B down to 2% (I like a darker, more malty Saison). Added 500g sugar, taken away 500g munich. I'm expecting the yeast to go quite a bit lower, especially with high fermentation temp. I always find it interesting to compare the actual end result with those predicted by the various recipe engines.

You can make a really nice Saison / Biere de garde hybrid using mostly munich with a little pilsner, maybe a 60/40 mix or even 80/20 and a belgian yeast. That works well at about 25 IBU. It's nice and malty but dry at the same time.

It's different to what you're making but maybe something to try. Yours sounds interesting though so I'll be keeping an eye on here to see how it turns out.

You can make a really nice Saison / Biere de garde hybrid using mostly munich with a little pilsner, maybe a 60/40 mix or even 80/20 and a belgian yeast. That works well at about 25 IBU. It's nice and malty but dry at the same time.

It's different to what you're making but maybe something to try. Yours sounds interesting though so I'll be keeping an eye on here to see how it turns out.
Started it late on Saturday evening, OG 1059. Decided to omit the sugar. Checked this morning - about an inch of Krausen, bubbling twice a second. Currently at 24°c, on Wednesday I'll raise it to 28°c - or should I go higher? (The beauty of a fermentation chamber!).

I'd slowly ramp it up to there, 28 should be enough to get it to attenuate fully but you can always push it further later on if not.

I'd slowly ramp it up to there, 28 should be enough to get it to attenuate fully but you can always push it further later on if not.
I've notched the temperature up to 28°c over the past 4 days, it's bubbling nicely (once every couple of seconds). Question though, when it comes to bottling, I take it the first couple of weeks of conditioning it's done at the same temp, or can I get away with a bit lower, say 21°?

I'm not sure you need to condition the bottles as hot. I've never done that but that's mainly because I've got no way of doing it. You could give it a shot. It might be better for the yeast.

First hydrometer check this evening, after 5 days fermenting 1018 already. Fantastic smell - the saison yeast is really giving it a lovely authentic whiff. I think this could be one of my defaults....

Looking good mate.

I'm slightly worried after reading the fourth post in this thread regarding the amount of special b. I've just made a dubbel with 400g (6%) of special b in the grist, will it be too much?

First hydrometer check this evening, after 5 days fermenting 1018 already. Fantastic smell - the saison yeast is really giving it a lovely authentic whiff. I think this could be one of my defaults....

sounds good..

mines nearly finished...will put a few aside to see what happens over time..

hope i get a bottle ..hint hint

ty

ill return your last bottles refilled...

porter and stout ok?

i also have the lovely task of having to bottle 2 45 ish litre batches this week..ill not be brewing twice in a week again in a hurry..

cleaning bottles sucks...

Sounds grand mate! Got a couple of those pale ale left if you want? Are you not kegging, or still waiting on regulator?

Sounds grand mate! Got a couple of those pale ale left if you want? Are you not kegging, or still waiting on regulator?

i kegging grand ive 2 filled....well 1 near empty...hic

need to get a **** load more disconects and decide how many kegs 2 use,,,and how to control differing pressures..

thinking of how set up is progressing not sure if i should just by another bog standard regulator and use both bottles..split lines for force carbing or serving...

or get a handfull of secondary regs ..

no matter which way i will go ....will regret it....

am really impressed with the kegs ive filled....but having to chop and change pressures ...damn its fussy

and still working on shed layout and setup..

solar lighting current project...

meh it never ends

Looking good mate.

I'm slightly worried after reading the fourth post in this thread regarding the amount of special b. I've just made a dubbel with 400g (6%) of special b in the grist, will it be too much?
It's more suited to a dubbel in my view so you should be alright

The good thing about Belgian beers is that you can throw the rule book out the window. I'd probably not use it in a saison but that's not to say it won't be good.

Latest posts

Back