Beerworks kit hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerlover

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just bought 3 of these kits, 2 of the IPAs and a pils, my question is has anyone done these and if so how did you go about adding the hops? I've always dry hopped in the past but these kits have a strange method which I've not used before, I'll insert the instructions below, I like my beer as hoppy as possible, do you reckon I should stick to dry hopping or follow their instructions as below?

The hops should be added to the bitter on day 5, to the stout on day 8 and the lager on day 10. Empty the hops into a clean 1 litre jug, use a knife to break them up (for around 1 minute) then add 500ml of boiling water. Continue to use the knife to pulverise the hops in the water for a further 2 minutes then use a large spoon to transfer just the hops into your beer, leaving the liquid behind (don’t worry if a few hops remain in the jug). Leave the bucket lid open for as little time as possible to prevent contamination. Do not stir the bucket contents. Reseal the lid and do not open again until day 10 for the bitter, day 12 for the stout, and day 15 for the lager.

I've done the Kent bitter an Mersey ipa and did as instructed, both turned out great, I did use scissors to chop up hops

I agree that it's a weird way to add hops. Normally if you steep hops like that you add the liquid to the FV as well. The boiling water is to assist hop oil extraction, not adding the liquid defeats the object surely?

Do you reckon it would be better to dry hop then or is it likely to be more hoppy using their method?

I think their method is fine, I would just put the liquid in too - any not absorbed. Their method designed is to avoid diluting the beer. I guess. But most of the liquid is absorbed by the hops and won't alter the beer I think. And you are not wasting the hop oils in the liquid.

Back