Campden Tablet Question?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I normaly use 1/2 a campden tablet in the cold water before i use it to make a kit. I am hoping to use the hot water generated by my solar system to junp start me HLT.

My question is can I safely and effectively still use a campden in warm/hot water e.g 75 deg C+ to do the same job as it does in cold water?

I don't see a problem, it's not a living thing like yeast or the natural enzymes we use in winemaking, it's just a chemical reaction, so temperature shouldn't make any difference.

Jumping on the back of this (if you dont mind) can you get Campden Powder as ive racked 7 DJs today and got fed up crushing a tablet every time. Or could I just pre crush a bottle of tablets without them going off.

Yes, I think you can buy Campden Powder, but it must be mostly a bulking agent.

Do you have Sodium Metabisulphite powder? I dissolve 2.5 tsps in 250ml of water (in an old finings bottle kept for the purpose) and then use 10ml of that solution in place of one CT.

Firstly sorry to Orkneyak for the high jacking of there thread.

Moley not got any sodium metabisulpite but will get some. Getting low on Campden tabs anyway. Got to get some other bits later today anyway. Your way sounds easier and safer than the crushing with 2 spoons method. Thanks Moley :thumb:

Up until the last few brews I hadn't used campden in my beer.
To be honest I don't think I can tell any difference.
We don't have much of a chemical taste in the water here so I was inclined to bring the NLT up to temp a good hour before I needed it in the hope at most chemicals would evaporate off. Don't think I buy any more campden.

Why not try without first to see if you need it?
Do you have much of a chlorine taste in your water?

The water quality in the UK varies massively between different regions - orkney water may well be of a much higher quality than some areas further south....

BigYin said:
The water quality in the UK varies massively between different regions - orkney water may well be of a much higher quality than some areas further south....

Yep, you should try the water where I am, I think it's pumped directly out of the Thames :sick:

Im told the water supply is ok were i live .I have never used CT but im tempted to try and see if it effects the quality of the final brew :thumb:

I always use campden in my brewing water.....the water from my mains supply is terrible really.
Very highly chlorinated and quite hard.....you can smell the chlorine very markedly with water from the tap.

I've got maybe a dozen campden tablets left....once they are gone I'll just use powdered sodium meta as it is cheaper and I've started using a solution of it to rinse bottles with that will be stored for a week or so before a bottling session.

ATB

Moley said:

Do you have Sodium Metabisulphite powder?

Moley can you just clear something up please. Did you mean METABISULPHITE and is METABISULPHATE a different thing or has Youngs got the labels wrong and should it be SODIUM METABISULPHITE on the tubs????????. or are they both the same thing.

snail59 said:
Moley said:

Do you have Sodium Metabisulphite powder?

Moley can you just clear something up please. Did you mean METABISULPHITE and is METABISULPHATE a different thing or has Youngs got the labels wrong and should it be SODIUM METABISULPHITE on the tubs????????. or are they both the same thing.

Ignor that last load of drivel Youngs have it right it does say ITE on the tub it's MATCHLESS that have it listed wrong as ATE.

look closer next time :oops: :oops: :oops:

markp said:
I always use campden in my brewing water.....the water from my mains supply is terrible really.
Very highly chlorinated and quite hard.....you can smell the chlorine very markedly with water from the tap.

As I understand it, ALL domestic water is treated with a variety of agents designed to keep it safe and free of bacteria etc. It is also treated with fluoride to help with our dental health.

Certainly, if you are keeping fish in an aquarium, you don't dare add plain tap water without first treating it - and for those down south who's kettles regularly die with all the deposits left by the hard water, let me sicken you and say that we simply don't get ANY limescale around here :mrgreen: :drink: :drink:

I must admit that despite being blessed with a very good quality 'soft' water supply up here, I still always treat the brew with a campden tablet before I add the yeast - it'd be a shame to risk a big brew not being quite as good as it could have been for the sake of one tiny tablet....

Back