yeast bay vermont starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkeuk

Reaction score
hi all
I was going to do a starter with my Vermont yeast but having read the white labs info below it sort of contradicts its self , as any of you guys done a starter with this before , any advice would be appreciated
vermont.jpg

I always recommend a starter with liquid yeast. Have a look at this calculator which will tell you what size to use. The contradiction I think you're referring to at the end, where it says starters are not recommended is talking about blends, that is a combination of 2 or more yeast or bacteria strains, which the Vermont yeast isn't.

Edit to add the following from Yeast Bay's website:
Starter Culture. Starter cultures are recommended for several reasons, the primary reason being the production of a healthy cell population of required cell density to ferment the wort that has been produced. We recommend using yeastcalculator.com when calculating the size of yeast starter required. The manufacture date of the yeast is 4 months before the "Best Before" date on the vial.
While we typically do not recommend starters for blends as there is a possibility that the proportions of organisms may change and produce a slightly different character than intended, we understand that it will at times be necessary. The risk of significantly changing the proportions of organisms is lower in blends that contain all the same type of organism (i.e. only Brettanomyces or Saccharomyces).

If it's within date and your not planning on pitching it into upwards of 1.060 OG then you won't need a starter in a batch up to 22/23 litres.

Anything under/over this then yes you will need to make a starter.

Don't forget to get the most out of this yeast it needs 18oC for the first 4 days of active fermentation and then raise up to 19/20 to get it to finish off.

Can you guess it's my most favourite yeast ever???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers guys
As always very helpfull.
@strangesteve it was the 'blends' bit I was not sure about 👍

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Do any of you know the cell count in the vile is it the usual 100 billion
I only ask as there info goes on about brews upto a OG of 1070
Cheers

According to their website the single strain vials are 80B cells, which for 5 gallons of 1.070 wort is about 1/3 of the recommended pitch rate. You could probably get away with it but even with a brand new vial I would do a 1L starter.

I used a yeast bay vial recently which was a couple of months out of date. No starter and seems to be doing just fine.

Cheers @strangesteve
l recon I need to go to specsavers I did to have a look on there site but did not see that.
What confuses me is that having used a online yeast calculator it says I need 200+billion for a 23 liter , 1050 brew !

I am fermenting a NEIPA with this very yeast at the moment, last Sunday (22/01) and fermenting at 19°C. Been surprised how little krausen/foam there has been, seems a very clean fermenting yeast for me. Its producing CO2 so it must be doing something. Will maybe take a quick gravity reading over the weekend to check progress.

Day 6 now, gravity down from 1046 to 1020. Turned up to 20c today and will step up tomorrow to 21c to help it finish off.

@spapro I'd be interested to know where it finished 👍

@spapro I'd be interested to know where it finished 👍

Mine's stuck at 1020 this morning, have given it a stir and upped the temperature to 23c to try and wake up the yeast.

@spapro hope it starts up again for you
What was the OG ?

Still at 1020, going to pop this in a king keg, not sure whats happened here for me.

Back