Questions questions questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philt99

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a few issues/questions about my setup and procedure... Hopefully someone has a similar setup and/or kit.

I've been doing homebrew now since November I think, I only use kits and have 4x FV, 1 Stc1000 temp controller freezer that can hold 2x FV's, and a brew fridge with 2 19l cornies, taps etc

So I'll do 2x kits, usually 2 weeks primary, rack to secondary FV for 10 days/ 2 weeks. Then keg and drink pretty much straight away. Now the kits aren't conditioned at this point but as I get to the end they taste loads better - as expected.

So I'd like to add another stage of 2 weeks here to condition. Do I get another 2x cornies and leave at a certain temp for 2 weeks? Or can I condition in say a FV or pressurised king keg to keep costs down, before kegging...

Next question - should I be priming with sugar etc before kegging. I currently don't... My beers are carbonated after 15 mins force carb shake/roll. Am I missing a trick?

Also is there any section of the forum to do like a beer kit swap? I've been given a kit at Christmas but it's not my cup of tea, must be someone's! Maybe a swap someone in the same situation.

Thanks for looking and any replies

Phil

You could safely add another week to the primary and another week to secondary to gain those two weeks.

If you wanted to free up your primary FV's then tagging those weeks onto the secondary time wouldn't be an issue either. Just make sure oxygen exposure is minimal and that the vessels are kept cool and air locked.

Force carbonation via keg is fine, no need for sugar.

Carbonating with Malt extract might add a little more body to your beer, but can provide unpredictable levels of carbonation.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back