Yeast help and advice.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsteve2007

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to find a way to save more money as i brew more beer and cider. I have came across Young's Dried Active Yeast. will this be ok to use in all my brews cider, beer and maybe a couple of wine batches?

Absolutely great for wine, OK in cider (if you want really dry cider ;) ) but a big no no :nono: for beer.
It will ferment the beer ok but it will taste :sick:

tubby_shaw said:
Absolutely great for wine, OK in cider (if you want really dry cider ;) ) but a big no no :nono: for beer.
It will ferment the beer ok but it will taste :sick:

is there a yeast i could use in everything or should i get a bag of each?

You can use beer or wine yeast in cider, with different but acceptable results :thumb:
But beer needs a beer yeast and wine needs a wine yeast as the both have there own separate requirements :)
You can by beer yeast in bulk or you could make up a starter and split that for use in separate batches :)
There is a how to HERE it will work for dried yeast as well as liquid yeast.

The yeast makes a huge difference to the taste, for a few pence honestly get cider yeast beer yeast and the tub will do for wines.

With the beer and cider you can reuse the yeats again by havesting it to save some cash, many a time I have pitched on a yeast cake or stored a jam jar full til the next brew. I would not with the wine.

tubby_shaw said:
You can use beer or wine yeast in cider, with different but acceptable results :thumb:
But beer needs a beer yeast and wine needs a wine yeast as the both have there own separate requirements :)
You can by beer yeast in bulk or you could make up a starter and split that for use in separate batches :)

ok where can i get them in bulk from?

bigsteve2007 said:
tubby_shaw said:

Forum sponsor Barley Bottom sells 500g packs :thumb:
Click on the banner at the top of the page ;)

tubby_shaw said:
bigsteve2007 said:
[quote="tubby_shaw":3v8xmkqc]You can use beer or wine yeast in cider, with different but acceptable results :thumb:

Forum sponsor Barley Bottom sells 500g packs :thumb:
Click on the banner at the top of the page ;)[/quote:3v8xmkqc]

they dont do wine any ideas where i can get that?

Back