Beer you just don't like/can't drink

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son asked me yesterday what my favourite beer or type of beer was.
After a bit of thought and coming to the conclusion that picking a favourite beer or even a favourite type of beer would be difficult, I said that it would be easier to name the beers that I really can't abide.
I really can't drink either Becks or Kronenbourg 1664 as I find the taste of them truly horrible. I realise that this is purely subjective but I'm interested to hear what beers or types of beers that folks just don't like.

Over to you folks

Excluding ones that are just faulty. Don't think there are any I can't drink, although some beers that are heavily flavoured with coffee or smoke (ranchbier or grodziskie) I have a low threshold for and a half is enough.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Carlton Draught, went to an engagement party where that was all they had opened my first stubbie at around 8.30 pm,went home at 1 am and still hadn't finished it.

Worst I had in Australia was Emu Bitter.
But from what I have heard about most of the breweries being owned by the same company, it could well be Carlton Draught in a different tin.

I liked most of the Coopers beers and Little Creatures was good, I am sure things have moved on a bit in the ten years since I was there last.
Much like it has here.

Worst I had in Australia was Emu Bitter.
But from what I have heard about most of the breweries being owned by the same company, it could well be Carlton Draught in a different tin.

I liked most of the Coopers beers and Little Creatures was good, I am sure things have moved on a bit in the ten years since I was there last.
Much like it has here.

You're not wrong there, there are some good craft breweries but very rare to get a cask conditioned ale through a pump at cellar temperature.

Cosmic forces saw some Greene King IPA turn up in my fridge. Dunno if it was flaky or what but it tasted like cabbage water, to me. Still necked it tho'.

Most lagers are so bland that they are pretty inoffensive, so I think it's more likely to be a "craft beer" which is actually unpleasant. Recently for me it was Smog Rocket smoked porter which I thought was terrible.

I also have an aversion to festive beers but not really due to taste, just find the addition of spice unnecessary and not really done to make the most enjoyable beer.

Agree on this, I'm never really a porter type of guy but my Dad suggested it for our last drink pre beer scooter home. He ended up having two haha!

Still not a porter lover

Most lagers are so bland that they are pretty inoffensive, so I think it's more likely to be a "craft beer" which is actually unpleasant. Recently for me it was Smog Rocket smoked porter which I thought was terrible.

I also have an aversion to festive beers but not really due to taste, just find the addition of spice unnecessary and not really done to make the most enjoyable beer.

I think spices definitely need a light touch. The head brewer at Rochefort (who put corriander seed in their beers) said that if you can tell what spice is used then it's been overused.

Horses for course clearly - I think Smog Rocket is among the best beers I've ever tasted!

Don't think I've ever come across a beer I haven't been able to finish but I'm with the others who've said they don't like anything with flavouring adjuncts - vanilla, spices, fruit etc. (with the rare exception being a Belgian that's been spiced so subtlely that it can't be noticed). Spiced Christmas ales are the worst idea I've ever heard when it comes to brewing.

Latest posts

Back