Beer you just don't like/can't drink

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Titanic Plum Porter.

Hopefully i wont get the dogs abuse for this choice as i once did on a FB real ale group, or perhaps i might. I still chuckle at the state some of them got themselves into over my opinion of this overrated sickly sweet concoction.:whistle:

When I visited the UK 3 years ago I had a Plum Porter from the hand pump found it delicious, don't know whose it was but tried to replicate it when I got back home using prune juice dismal failure.

Hong Kong brewed San Miguel - truly dreadful stuff. It was so full of chemicals I felt the hangover starting even as I was drinking it. Blue girl wasnt much better.
Luckily we found the emerging Craft beer places and bottles of Little Creatures :thumb:

Hong Kong brewed San Miguel - truly dreadful stuff. It was so full of chemicals I felt the hangover starting even as I was drinking it. Blue girl wasnt much better.
Luckily we found the emerging Craft beer places and bottles of Little Creatures :thumb:
I spent a fair bit of time there when I was a Royal Marine in the 60's and as you say, the hangover started when you were drinking it. The Spanish San Mig has never given me the same problem.

I find it more bland than some of the mass produced stuff.

+1 on this. Wife bought a load of Inns and Gunns bottles back from good food show last year.

a lot of them were decent and interesting and was looking forward to their "craft" lager.

I was surprised at how bland it was, I could have been drinking carling cold

I often drink Carling Cold at gigs, because you can drink loads of it and not fall over. Would never order it in a pub though - its pointless.

Green king ipa....this must be squeezed out of tramps socks! No1 worst beer ever!
Canned "bitters" Boddingtons, Jon smiths etc....should prosecuted under trades description laws...this comes out of stagnant ponds.
Most canned "lagers"......should be labelled as "dreadful,sh1te ".
Agree..plum porter is nice but not all night!

I got a selection box for last Christmas and tipped the following down the drain:

• La Trappe & other Trappist style (way too strong and not a nice flavour - although some Chimay beers are ok)
  • Hitachino Amber Ale (rank, should stick to lagers!)
  • Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen (Smoked beer - WTF! I was heaving with this one)
Generally anything above about 6% is not nice and is ruined by the alcohol taste, also:

Stella is just drinkable when ice cold, but then turns into p*ss.
Heineken/Amstel/Kronenbourg/Carlsberg are less than cooking lagers.
Stouts/Guinness are evil (some Porters not bad).
Tequila flavoured lagers are just wrong

I got a selection box for last Christmas and tipped the following down the drain:

• La Trappe & other Trappist style (way too strong and not a nice flavour - although some Chimay beers are ok)
  • Hitachino Amber Ale (rank, should stick to lagers!)
  • Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen (Smoked beer - WTF! I was heaving with this one)
Generally anything above about 6% is not nice and is ruined by the alcohol taste, also:

Stella is just drinkable when ice cold, but then turns into p*ss.
Heineken/Amstel/Kronenbourg/Carlsberg are less than cooking lagers.
Stouts/Guinness are evil (some Porters not bad).
Tequila flavoured lagers are just wrong

I think it would have been quicker to say what you WILL drink!

I'm with Rob on the extra strong commercial stuff. Basically anything where they've resorted to adding sugar to get the alcohol up starts to taste sickly and twangy to me. Making it strong and drinkable is truly an art exemplified by nectar like Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby.

Can't drink fruit beers either. I like raspberries, strawberries and beer alike but they need to be served in separate vessels!

Green king ipa....this must be squeezed out of tramps socks! No1 worst beer ever!
Canned "bitters" Boddingtons, Jon smiths etc....should prosecuted under trades description laws...this comes out of stagnant ponds.
Most canned "lagers"......should be labelled as "dreadful,sh1te ".
Agree..plum porter is nice but not all night!
Agree re Green King ipa:twisted:.
Can't stomach Hobgoblin either:twisted:

Stone Arrogant *******. It's basically a posh special brew.

Doom Bar. Tastes like soap. It's the Coldplay of beers - zero interest and zero adventure.

When I visited the UK 3 years ago I had a Plum Porter from the hand pump found it delicious, don't know whose it was but tried to replicate it when I got back home using prune juice dismal failure.

Could it have been Titanic by any chance (brewed in Stoke On Trent)? If so, that just happens to be my favourite beer. :thumb:

I'm incredibly picky when it comes to my beer though, so like some others it'd be quicker to say what I will drink... :whistle: I tend to like heavier beers though, like a good ruby ale or a porter.

More - that rauchbier from Germany people love. Liquid bacon. Not a flavour that should be in beer.

Agree with most comments about lagers, while working in Portugal last summer, had the misfortune of a pint of Estrella Damm, should have been called 'Estrella, Damn!' Pity, because the Super Bock was quite drinkable in that heat.

Haven't touched a cider in many years, last one I tried left an esterry taste in my mouth for days:sick:. Had a similar experience with the Banana Bread Ale.

Latest posts

Back