How much was your first pint?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Likewise a late 90s drinker 97 onwards when I could get served funnily enough at my late 16 turning 17 which isn't something you could probably get away with now.

Could get £1 pints /bottles at certain places in town although these did attract trouble.. I remember once place though Saturday night Diesel £1.25. Although around then the norma for a pint was sub £2.

Nowadays I hardly ever buy beer in a bar pub..

Honestly couldn't tell you but I started my drinking career in the late 80's. Remember going to the pub on Friday lunchtime at sixth form, must have been tricky for the landlord as some of us were 18 and some of us weren't. Not sure I was upon buying my first drink. I'd guess we were paying about a £1 a pint back then?

That said I wasn't an inexperienced drinker at that age as my Dad brewed his own and he'd let us have a pint or two on a Friday night. Probably thank him for my relatively sensible approach to boozing compared to the yoof of today as well as developing my own home brewing habit.

That said I wasn't an inexperienced drinker at that age as my Dad brewed his own and he'd let us have a pint or two on a Friday night. Probably thank him for my relatively sensible approach to boozing compared to the yoof of today as well as developing my own home brewing habit.

I think I had my first drink (half a bitter shandy) age twelve at a family dinner. I think it's better to ease your kids into it slowly. We all know someone who wasn't allowed a drop until they hit 18... they were always the ones who ran wild and ended up wasted every time you went to the pub.

I can't remember how much my first pint was, but in the early 00's a local pub of mine did 5 pints of Stella for £5. When you're watching the football with your mates all in your early 20's that'll do to load the table up:thumb:

What the heck is a shilling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My local would have been about 90p a pint, down in the town centre pubs and it would have been 85p, I could have bought the grand sum of 37 pints with a weeks 1st year apprenticeship wages back then. Now i can make 40 pints for a fair bit less than that weeks wages.

What the heck is a shilling?

ddddddd.jpg

Buying from an off licence had the added bonus of money back on the returned bottle:thumb:
Thems were the days

My first pint, I was 15, 1979, Finsbury Park....On a Saturday I used to go into our local to see the Old Man and he'd buy me a shandy. Once day he puts a pint and a glass of lemonade down in front of me and carries on talking to his mates so I just tuck into the pint. Quarter of an hour later I ask he Old Man who the lemonade is for? He replies in a very strong Irish accent "It was for you, you little fecker, you were supposed to make a shandy". Needless to say that after that there was no more money wasted on lemonade. So whilst I don't know how much it cost, the glint in the Old Mans eye that was priceless.

Whilst I can't remember my first pint I do remember when me and my mates started going to nightclubs when we were 15/16 we would drink Newcastle brown because it was the cheapest thing there plus it came in large bottles

One shilling and seven pence, in the Station in, I think, Billingham. We used to take the train from Thornaby there because it was the only place we knew we'd get served. I went to the bar and asked for a pint & he gave me a long hard stare then said "you can have this one then f*** off". I was 14.

Dad used to take me down his local when I hit 16. I wasn't allowed to buy any, but was fine to drink a couple. Him and the landlord are friends, have known each other since they were both in the police. I still remember the landlord coming up to me half cut and saying "you're a good lad. You ever want to come in here for one or two after school, you're welcome! You'll sit in the corner, and don't get lairy, and only two, mind! But you're welcome."

Latest posts

Back