New wine brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dattsbud

Reaction score
Hey guys. At day 11 of a 14 day wine kit. Never brewed anything before. Live in Ireland and it's quite cold now. Using plastic bucket fermenter and at 14° and read lower temps take longer. Curious as to how long. What should my hydrometer say before fining etc... basically I need a tutor 😊

How did it turn out? I'm on my first batch of kit wine. No foam and scared to check it or disturb it in anyway. It's really cold at the moment and read a fee comments that say it just takes longer.

Hey guys. At day 11 of a 14 day wine kit. Never brewed anything before. Live in Ireland and it's quite cold now. Using plastic bucket fermenter and at 14° and read lower temps take longer. Curious as to how long. What should my hydrometer say before fining etc... basically I need a tutor 😊

You will get loads of help here but........... what do the instructions tell you to do? :thumb:

Welcome to the forum @dattsbud, i have merged both your posts together as they are on the same subject.

I make my wine with no direct heat to the DJ's and FV's and my kitchen gets down to 15c in winter they do take longer than in summer but not much, the only way to know for sure if its finished is to take a hydrometer reading, the kits i have made usually tell you to finish it around .995 the juice wines i make will go to .990 if you let it but that is very dry.

If you haven't see it have a look at this - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Welcome to the forum @dattsbud, i have merged both your posts together as they are on the same subject.

I make my wine with no direct heat to the DJ's and FV's and my kitchen gets down to 15c in winter they do take longer than in summer but not much, the only way to know for sure if its finished is to take a hydrometer reading, the kits i have made usually tell you to finish it around .995 the juice wines i make will go to .990 if you let it but that is very dry.

If you haven't see it have a look at this - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Thanks Chippy. I've read loads on here now and feel confident this batch will survive! I didn't want to put heating on in that room to avoid fluctuation and thought dormant better than overheat and kill the yeast.
I'll take on board the warning of hydrom reading. Prefer drier finish to sweet. It's a cab sab kit so fingers crossed.

@vinotinto thanks. Instructions say between 18 and 21 but lots of posts gave totally different ranges. I'll keep an eye on the hydrometer and keep fingers crossed.

Craft range 14 day 30 btl

Never heard of it or used it. A can suggests low quantity of juice but I see no added sugar is required and at �£33 ish then hopefully it is far better than the Wilko / winebudy shy**. Suggest you ignore the timings and go with the hydrometer and common sense. No harm in leaving it under airlock until happy it has stopped then go from there.

at £33 ish then hopefully it is far better than the Wilko / winebudy shy**.

You do not like the WineBuddy kits and voice your feeling often here but they are popular amongst members (me included) and while you are entitled to post your views i hope members (especially new ones) are not put off trying them because of your negative posts.

You do not like the WineBuddy kits and voice your feeling often here but they are popular amongst members (me included) and while you are entitled to post your views i hope members (especially new ones) are not put off trying them because of your negative posts.

Fully accept that Chippy and no malice meant. That said many others also and often express their similar dislike for these products especially when compared to the other options available. Is it not also right that we 'enlighten' new members accordingly? I do wonder how many 'new' wine makers have thrown in the towel completely based on their first experiences with the products we are talking about? I know I would have done if I had not tried the likes of CC, Beaverdale etc etc.

@Chippy_Tea we have managed to stabilise temp at 16 for last 4 days. Hydrometer reading done 3 times in last 6 days and still right on 1.00 . Smells better today but still tastes like grape juice. Is it ruined or do I let it ferment a little longer?

Is it not also right that we 'enlighten' new members accordingly? .

It is and i have often said in posts about WB kits they are at the cheaper end of the market and anyone who is a regular shop bought Sav Blanc drinker may be disappointed if they make these low price kits but its a good starting point and they do a 6 bottle kit so probably best to make a DJ first not a 30 bottle kit.

I make the winebuddy kits often, I'm not a wine drinker but my mrs. likes em, more so than a cheap supermarket bottle. I make half the 6 bottles sparkling too which goes down well.
I only do white wines as she doesn't like red.
If you like red then the higher price ones are the only way to go I believe.

Put it in water, should read 1000.
Many thanks! I prefer whites too, I just didn't want to make a **** one as my first haha
Sparkling is an interesting option.
Getting a heat belt for next batch do hopefully easier!

Back