Port Wine Recipe PH Levels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aneray

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening all.

I have most of the ingredients together to start my second Port Wine recipe. The first one I made was a great success a couple of years ago but I want to make it better this time.

The PH levels of the first attempt is something I never considered but my idea is that it will make a better drink if I get the levels right.

The ingredients I have for five gallons are the following

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 pints of pure steam extracted blackberry juice from 15 pounds of blackberries from last years crop. This juice was then pasteurised.

500g of dried elderberries

6 litres of Lidl red grape juice, not from concentrate. I assume this is the eating grape variety.

1 x 5 gallon (30 bottle) Youngs Winebuddy Cabernet Sauvignon Wine kit.

8oz banana powder (Ripe bananas sliced thinly and now drying in the dehydrator until crisp)

Sugar to take it up to an as yet undecided abv.

Napoleon Brandy to fortify finished product @ 10 fluid ounces per gallon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anybody have an idea of what ph level I should be looking at. Do I keep it at the level throughout, right up until fermentation finishes. What should I be using for this.

Cheers

Back