RO system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the stars don't mean you're close to your target, they only mean the values are within recommended general brewing range. When the numbers in the "difference" row go green, then you're close enough.

For a NEIPA the closest is probably light and malty, but personally I'd increase the calcium from 60 to 100 ppm.
Cheers for help understand it lot better now much appreciated

Hi Steve. I made the mistake of thinking the software would calculate the additions for you but now i have a better grasp on it. Any chance you could upload that screenshot again as it too low res to read.
Oops, try this one. This is for a water volume of 30L:
fniTZnq.jpg

Oops, try this one. This is for a water volume of 30L:
fniTZnq.jpg
Well was having a wee look for water for neipa i remember you said make so 200 does this seem about right is for thirty litres

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180314-172702.png
    Screenshot_20180314-172702.png
    62 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot_20180314-172719.png
    Screenshot_20180314-172719.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 170
@liamf89 for a NEIPA you want to reverse the sulphate:chloride ratio, something like 75ppm sulphate and 150ppm chloride would be a decent starting point.

@liamf89 for a NEIPA you want to reverse the sulphate:chloride ratio, something like 75ppm sulphate and 150ppm chloride would be a decent starting point.
I changed the sulphate to 75 and chloride to 150 put can't seem to get the calcium at the right number is always to high am only trying to add calcium chloride and gypsum to get right figures added 3gram gypsum 9.5 calcium chloride will I need add another salt to get this too right figure and lower calcium thanks

Well this was a blast from the past, it was nice seeing some posts from my old mate Johnnyboy1965. I miss his posts where his anger was matched only by his ignorance.

Anyway @Justin Dean, personally I would never use that profile, the calcium, sulphate, and bicarbonate are much too high for me.

Yes mate, I agree mate, but the calculation is right?
Are you asking if those additions to DI water will give you that profile?

Well sodium bicarbonate is 27.4% by weight sodium and 72.6% bicarbonate, so 10g will add 2.74g sodium and 7.26g bicarbonate.

Gypsum is 23.3% calcium by weight and 55.8% sulphate, so an addition of 25g will add 5.58g of calcium and 13.95g sulphate.

Calcium chloride (dihydrate) is 27.2% calcium by weight and 48.2% chloride, so an addition of 5g will add 1.36g of calcium and 2.41g chloride.

Epsom salt is 9.9% magnesium by weight and 40% sulphate so an addition of 10g will add 0.99g of magnesium and 4g of sulphate.

So your total additions are:
2740mg sodium
7360mg bicarbonate
6940mg calcium
17950mg sulphate
2410mg chloride
990mg magnesium

Divide these by your volume in litres to get ppm. If you used a volume of about 25L in your calculation then, yes the numbers look about right.

Last edited:
Thank you mate, I was just fiddling with the numbers to get them all green because I figure that is how the calculator works, Your explanation gives me confidence that using the simple calculator in this way works. Good enough for me. The only other question is ph form ro so will look at the advanced calculator now. Learning curve step 2.

The picture above is pretty drastic from RO to Burton on Trent.

Latest posts

Back