The Ashes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajhutch

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anybody else still up?

Bit nervous to see how England's top order cope with the Australian fast bowlers at the start of the first day. I'm staying for half an hour of play and then it's bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a cricket fan but each to their own I do wish these idiots on BBC would stop refering to it as down under we used to say that when we were 10 and it wasn't funny then.

I’ve got up with my daughter to watch the last couple of hours. I hope BT grow in to their coverage. I know Sky monopolise sports but they know how to cover it! Already the adverts have cut off commentators more then once and it’s nowhere near as slick.

I wouldn’t worry too much, BT Sport have only bought the Ashes in Australia and Sky still have the majority of the cricket rights. I think it’ll be interesting to see if Sky get them back after or just think less people will get up to watch it so not bothered.

Talking about the cricket, who’d have thought Cook caught at slip and Root LBW walking across his stumps when the ball is reversing.......

I would love to stay up and watch it but can't

Did listen to Tuffers put the mockers on Vincent whilst in the car.. :mad:

As for BT sport, I have it for the rugby.. In fairness their rugby coverage is better than Sky, but Sky could just sack Stuart Barnes and make it a lot more bearable.

But Do quite like Skys coverage of the cricket.

It’s the rugby coverage that makes me think about finding the cheapest way to get it added to my Sky package

Aussies probably the happier of the 2 camps after day 1.

They also have the new ball first thing so England have to really try and see it off or Aussies could get us out to a very average score.

I would love to see Malan get a big score here, stop the merry-go-round in the middle order. Either way us getting early wickets when we bowl will be key with Lyon getting it to turn so early.

Not too bad for England though. The worst thing that could have happened was to be blown away on day one. It seems like they batted sensibly and as the situation required. Will need a big score from Malan, Ali or Bairstow though.

If anyone had offered me 196-4 at the end of the first day's play, I would have taken it. The fact that the Ashes debutants have performed well is important - that will instill some confidence and they can hopefully go on to have a really good tour.

Tomorrow morning will be the key. If we can see off the new ball and build a decent score then we can put pressure on them with the ball. If we lose early wickets, then it could get messy.

I'd have taken 196-4 too. Can't believe Vince threw away his inning like that though, total madness with another having gone down only a few minutes earlier.

Just praying for rain every day so it gets delayed and I get to listen to more in the morning. Was watching it on my phone whilst on the running machine this morning, almost fell off when vince got out....

I am just pleased that Root didnt get in till tea, we need to spend time batting and let their bowlers wear themselves out. I will be very happy if we are still batting at end of day tomorrow or even at Tea.

All in all a better start to the series than Big Ol' Harmisons huge wide was a few series ago!

25 2 one run behind but Australia really cranking up the pressure. Really need a partnership somewhere. I fear we will topple easily

Definitely a nervy position right now. Need to survive the day and start fresh tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah see this episode till close.

What's peopleso opinion of cook? Great player but he seems to get the odd big score and plenty of 17s. Englands lack of openers has been a problem for a long time but he struggles to play at this level for a while now.

I think Cook is one of those players that has a barren run every now and then. If he is going in to one now then I think sadly he will get the chop (eventually). I think Stoneman and Hameed will be the partnership. Stoneman has shown he’s got the temperament and the talent, Hameed has the technique and time on his side.

I think Cook is one of those players that has a barren run every now and then. If he is going in to one now then I think sadly he will get the chop (eventually). I think Stoneman and Hameed will be the partnership. Stoneman has shown he’s got the temperament and the talent, Hameed has the technique and time on his side.

I agree but I just feel his barren runs seem to stretch out larger and larger. Sadly I feel its more the other way around now he has a good run amongst the barren runs at Int level and I think it has been that way for a few years now. Shame I really like Cook and hope I am wrong.

Stonemans impressed though so far..

If we can hang in there tomorrow for the first hour and just chip away the runs we can build pressure on the Aussies.

Latest posts

Back