Mash in the Oven?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do the oven but have to go all safecracker and twist the nob past the lowest notch thing where it stops and then eyeball the flame to make sure it's still on. It works well. I've been trying to mash in a slow cooker controlled by an STC but the temperature is all over the shop because it's not stirred. A full volume mash with a pot with a lid in the oven worked far better.

If anyone is thinking about stepping up from a Stove Top (that's how I got started) I would buy this Peco Boiler (I own the model above this but this model is perfectly adequate.) This holds your mash at the correct temperature. I BIAB but you should also recirculate the wort so no hot spots develope. You could just use a jug (I did) but I automated the process by adding a cheap water pump from China (roughly a fiver). It runs off a 12v battery or charger.

I've had some excellent results since I started doing this.

Update on this, checked FG last night after 15 days and 1010 bang on from approx 1046 gives me around 4.7%. Cold crashing with a view to bottling late next week.

This one looks right colour wise, tastes fruity and juicy and the wort was nice and clear. Seems to have gone much better than the last attempt. :) Hoping the auto siphon does the job this time now there's more than 3ml in the FV. :D

Update on this, checked FG last night after 15 days and 1010 bang on from approx 1046 gives me around 4.7%. Cold crashing with a view to bottling late next week.

This one looks right colour wise, tastes fruity and juicy and the wort was nice and clear. Seems to have gone much better than the last attempt. :) Hoping the auto siphon does the job this time now there's more than 3ml in the FV. :D

I once read a blog where someone brewed a single pint but brewing 3ml is ridiculous :mrgreen:

Bottled this over the weekend, got 7x500ml bottles which is a vast improvement!

Looks clear already so leaving to carb until after new year and then see how it goes - Looks and smells delightful!! My first AG though, opened one the other night (2 down 1 to go!) and it more or less exploded on me! PET bottle so just a lot of fizz and gushing and a LOT of sediment, but it tasted pretty good, so that's a shame.

Used 1 carbonation drop per bottle with the latest batch, so no overcarbing issues this time hopefully!

Just sampling this now. Wow is all I can say!!! It’s an absolute delight!

Crisp, refreshing and a gorgeous hop profile. Heartily recommend the recipe kit from Geterbrewed.

First bottle was a undercarbed, second is perfect though. Delighted!

Attachments

• C2BC8BB5-310F-4058-8099-9BD9A9334CAB.jpeg
    C2BC8BB5-310F-4058-8099-9BD9A9334CAB.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 60

Latest posts

Back