Geordie Bitter kit - No head?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakrabbit

Reaction score
First go at a homebrew beer, a 40pint Geordie Bitter. Tried first couple yesterday, but noticed that they didnt produce any kind of head,

should I be expecting much of a head on this? (im not expecting anything like a commercial pint, but i'd have thought at least a bit of head), does it need longer to carbonate and condition? Its only had the minimum stated in the destruction sheet, and it is rather cold,

Im not overly worried, it tastes alreet

Hi!
Is there a head initially which disappears quickly, or are you getting no head at the pour?
Is your beer well carbonated or does it seem flat?
It really wouldn't harm to stick the bottles somewhere warm for a couple of weeks.

no appreciable head initially, but not flat either, im suspecting its somewhat under carbonated. The instructions stated 1/2 teaspoon sugar per 500ml bottle, although mine were a bit inaccurate, im starting to think this was perhaps not enough?

Sadly apart from ones or twos I cant put them anywhere warm at this time of year - simply no free space!

Hi!
I suspect that your beer needs more time to carbonate. I usually keep bottles at fermentation temperature for two weeks to carb up.
Have you considered batch priming? I've never primed individual bottles as it's fiddly and potentially inaccurate.

I'm suffering under-carbonation this year and I'm an expereinced brewer, the house temps seem to have dropped a lot lower due to the weather.

Get them in the warmest place in the house for 2 weeks. Kits usually produced a decent head.

Hi!
I suspect that your beer needs more time to carbonate. I usually keep bottles at fermentation temperature for two weeks to carb up.
Have you considered batch priming? I've never primed individual bottles as it's fiddly and potentially inaccurate.

Yes this is definitely my suspicion! I just followed the instructions with it being my first attempt, which said 4 days in warm followed by 10 minimum cool!

Due to loading the gaff up with christmas stuff the wife turfed my brews out to the garage.

Im likely to try batch priming on the next job, does seem a heck of a lot simpler

I'm suffering under-carbonation this year and I'm an expereinced brewer, the house temps seem to have dropped a lot lower due to the weather.

Get them in the warmest place in the house for 2 weeks. Kits usually produced a decent head.

Not sure where I can put it that wont annoy the missus!

Not sure where I can put it that wont annoy the missus!
Put the bottles in your half of where you live. She can keep her stuff in her half. :wink:
Anyway if you can find a warm space to do a few bottles at a time that will work. The yeast should wake up to finish carbing when it's moved back into the warm again, although you might have to give the bottles a gentle shake to rouse any settled yeast.

ordinary granulated sugar.

No, followed the instructions to the letter, with it being my 1st ever brew. Clearly apparent that the timings in the instructions are woefully inadequate! After a lot of reading on here, im struggling to comprehend where on earth they got the '4 days warm, 10 days cold' from! Im pretty sure that wouldnt even work under ideal laboratory conditions! (and I have a degree in biochemistry!!)

I want to get a couple of basic kits done before I start playing with the formula, but i'll definitely be ignoring the times in the instructions on the next one! Ive no idea what that will be yet though, as im expecting a kit for christmas from my inlaws!

Having brought the lot back into the house, I can say that although the current level of carbonation is low, the beer itself is reasonable, perhaps a tad thin, but stronger than expected. And from reading on here I also understand the 'why' behind that, and how to improve it.

Back