Hart in Hampshire 'best place to live in UK'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am surprised not one town/village in the Lake district made it onto the list.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42377578

Top 20 places:

Hart, Hampshire

Orkney Islands, Scotland

Rutland, East Midlands

Wychavon, Worcestershire

Winchester, Hampshire

Wokingham, Berkshire

Waverley, Surrey

Craven, North Yorkshire

Richmondshire, North Yorkshire

Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire

Uttlesford, Essex

Ryedale, North Yorkshire

Westminster, London

South Oxfordshire

St Albans, Hertfordshire

Tonbridge and Malling, Kent

East Hertfordshire

City of London

Chiltern, Buckinghamshire

Rugby, Warwickshire

They're only good places if you've got pots of cash, to the exclusion of the riff-raff. Wait 'til I win the lotto and move to one of them, thus lowering their standard and knocking them off the list in one fell-swoop.

They're only good places if you've got pots of cash, to the exclusion of the riff-raff. Wait 'til I win the lotto and move to one of them, thus lowering their standard and knocking them off the list in one fell-swoop.

They do look like pricey places don't they. I thought my stompin ground was pricey too, but it hasn't made the list. I still like living here....even though I'm a founder member of the great unwashed riff-raff and I'm not a miw-yun-air.:grin:

Sorry, but why in God's name would anyone want to live "darn sarf"?

The only reason I ever go that far south is on my way to the Portsmouth Ferry Terminal.

I can only assume that whoever voted in this survey were people who think Watford Gap is "oop North" and all Northerners wear flat caps and race whippets.

"Bloody Southerners!" in other words! :lol::lol:

Sorry, but why in God's name would anyone want to live "darn sarf"?

The only reason I ever go that far south is on my way to the Portsmouth Ferry Terminal.

I can only assume that whoever voted in this survey were people who think Watford Gap is "oop North" and all Northerners wear flat caps and race whippets.

"Bloody Southerners!" in other words! :lol::lol:

Wot youu on abrt? I dunno Dutto...! Watford Gap is up norf - init..!?:doh:
I never thought of Lincolnshire as being 'oop north' really...... (it's all fog & turnips init?) But.... if the flat cap fits....who am I to upset the carrot cart...:lol::lol::lol:

BTW: France is darn sarf init? I think you're gettin yer Whippet string twisted :lol::lol::lol:

I've recently been talking with mates about the fact that I've got a mind to move somewhere. I've always lived in cities, fancy a bit of coast or countryside for a change. North Yorkshire gets three separate mentions in that list so I'm going to take a serious look.

I've recently been talking with mates about the fact that I've got a mind to move somewhere. I've always lived in cities, fancy a bit of coast or countryside for a change. North Yorkshire gets three separate mentions in that list so I'm going to take a serious look.
Only problem with that is too many Yorkies. "You can always tell a Yorkie, but you can never tell a Yorkie f... all":whistle:

I live in uttlesford and it is a nice place to live but doubt i will be able to buy a house any time soon.

Is there anything particularly special about it from a day to day point of view... no.

Not sure how city of london got on there, their crime rate is very high.. bankers have been thieving for years.

Not sure how city of london got on there,

Me neither. I've never been and have no intention to, but from what I've heard I'd rather live in the hedge bottom. I'm with nigelnorris... gonna retire to some obscure spot on the North Yorks coast and live a reclusive life oblivious to all the madness going on to the west.

As a Derbyshire Tup I've lived alongside Yorkshire folk all my life and the first thing I learned was the following Yorkshire saying:

"Hear all, see all and say nowt.
eat all, sup all and pay nowt,
and if tha' does owt for nowt do it for thissen!"

Yorkshire folk are noted for their generosity! :whistle:

Yorkshire folk are noted for their generosity! :whistle:

Which brings me onto the old jokes -

What is the definition of a Yorkshireman? Someone who's ancestors came down with Robert the Bruce, but was too tight to get the bus fare home.

Or.....

What is the definition of a Yorkshireman? Someone from Aberdeen, with all the generosity squeezed out of them.

:-)

BTW: France is darn sarf init? I think you're gettin yer Whippet string twisted :lol::lol::lol:

Absolutely. Once you get through the Hell Hole and across The Channel things start to get back to normal.

I can even understand what the natives are saying! :lol::lol:

PS

Seriously, my sister emigrated to Bexley Heath where she lives and where she knocked out five kids.

The eldest started to talk like a "Suverner" instead of speaking the Queens English and she was for ever correcting him when he dumped the "Th" in his language and replaced it with an "F". e.g. "fings" instead of "things" "forts" instead of "thoughts", "froo" instead of "through" etc.

She realised that she may have gone too far with the criticism when her lad came running into the house one day, grabbed her by the hand, dragged her out into the garden, pointed to the small amphibian sheltering near the wall and said "Look Mam. It's a ...." and hesitated before concluding proudly "... a throg." :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back