Did I mess up on the reading?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteoc

Reaction score
I'm brewing the Coopers Australian Lager with ale yeast.

According to my records my OG was 1038 and my FG is 1013 - this calculates to be 3.3% which I'm believing is a little on the weak side.

Now the question is, is this just a **** brew or is there a very high chance I messed up on the original reading/didn't mix well enough etc?

Should I carry on and chill down to 2 degrees for a few weeks then bottle?

Your FG is probably about right. I have not made this kit but my other Coopers kits have finished around that value. It may have been that your SG reading was off due to mixing. But I'm sure it will be drinkable no matter the ABV.

I had exactly the same SG/FG readings for a St Peters Cream Stout kit that I just brewed which was supposed to be 5%.

When I bottled it there was around 2 litres of 'extra' beer to bottle, so I had clearly put too much water in at the start. My markings on my FV clearly aren't too accurate.

Apparently the ABV quoted on the kits are often a tad optimistic anyway, so it could be a combination of a few things. I am sure it will still taste fine though! :drink:

ok cool - I stuck the temp up to 22 degrees so I'll leave that for a couple of days the chill it down to 2 degrees for a few weeks then will bottle :)

I had exactly the same SG/FG readings for a St Peters Cream Stout kit that I just brewed which was supposed to be 5%.

When I bottled it there was around 2 litres of 'extra' beer to bottle, so I had clearly put too much water in at the start. My markings on my FV clearly aren't too accurate.

Apparently the ABV quoted on the kits are often a tad optimistic anyway, so it could be a combination of a few things. I am sure it will still taste fine though! :drink:

I've got a St Peters cream stout on the go at the mo. Like you it seems a little low on abv. Box says 5%, I used 20 litres of water (10×2ltr bottles) rather than the 20.5ltr on the instructions. Start gravity 1.040, after 4 days 1.016. Instructions say ferm complete when gravity is constant below 1014º (which is the same as 1.014 specific gravity, right?), which going by start reading would be 3.4%.
Does that seem correct? Or might the reading go down as far as 1.005, giving 4.7%
Thoughts please...

Latest posts

Back