Better balance

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Del

Reaction score
Anyone offer some advice? Going to start a Coopers IPA with a BKE as recommended. Currently drinking an Evil Dog DIPA which isn't as hoppy as I'd like (but I've a pretty good idea why) but isn't well balanced - although a good pint. I'll late hop with some Citra to make sure I've got the hop flavour and aroma but how can I ensure there's a good malt balance - or does the BKE help (never used before).

Drinking
Woodforde's Sundew
Evil Dog DIPA

Conditioning
Milestone's Green Man
Brooklyn Everyday IPA

Coopers IPA is pretty foolproof,i guess if you want it malty then brew short to 20l.
Defo needs some sort of hop addition,ive used Amarillo once and East Kent Goldings,both worked well although the second was slightly better as i added some steeped grains and swapped the yeast US 04 or 05 ????
Good luck

Forgot to say you may see an improvement with the bke but its a while since i bought one,i usually chuck in 500g dried spraymalt and the same or a bit more dextrose.its not too different,ive tried maltodextrin in my brew as well but couldnt say 100% that it made a large difference

Anyone offer some advice? Going to start a Coopers IPA with a BKE as recommended. Currently drinking an Evil Dog DIPA which isn't as hoppy as I'd like (but I've a pretty good idea why) but isn't well balanced - although a good pint. I'll late hop with some Citra to make sure I've got the hop flavour and aroma but how can I ensure there's a good malt balance - or does the BKE help (never used before).

Drinking
Woodforde's Sundew
Evil Dog DIPA

Conditioning
Milestone's Green Man
Brooklyn Everyday IPA

I'd go for an addition of 1kg DME plus the Citra, boiled for 5-10 mins, cooled and added to the Can contents with reduced sugar and made to 25L. If the hops are pellets, just chuck the whole lot in.

Thanks guys. The hops are whole so will stick some of them in a muslin bag and boil them for the time suggested and late hop with the balance. As I've said, I like a hoppy beer. Hopefully the enhancer will improve the body and maybe the overall balance - I'd love it to come out like an Oakhams but that's pushing my luck!

Latest posts

Back