Yeast Procedure for Next Beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianTrace

Reaction score
Hi Everybody

I have planned my next 3 beers, but I need some advice on how to go about sorting the yeast for them as this will decide which I brew tonight as Sammy is out with the girls leaving me in charge of the kids... Brew Night!

I have not sorted the order (and I have plans for another 5 or 6 brews, so not even these 3 are set in stone), but the beers are:

1) English Barleywine. 12L with an estimated OG of 1.099. Just because.
2) APA. 19L with estimated OG of 1.046. I have bought a kilo of american hops via the Phatboytall group hop buy.
3) Dubbel. 17L with estimated OG of 1.068. Sammy and I love Belgian beers. Might chuck some cherry in too (Kasteel Rouge)

I have an IPA using Danstar Nottingham that is just about finished on the primary fermentation, so I could use the yeast cake to pitch into the Barleywine, but this was already a repitched yeast cake. This is my ideal option as it is ready now, but how risky is this, and is there any quick clean of the yeast I can do to make this more likely to succeed? And where the cake has light and dark layers, I assume it is the light that I want to aim for?

I could do the APA this week with fresh yeast (Notts or US05) and repitch the yeast cake from that for the barleywine next week, but how much would the american hop flavour be passed into the barleywine?

The Dubbel doesn't really fit in, yeastwise (planning to use s33, because I have it, possibly with some Notts at the end to attenuate if necessary), so I could do an English bitter with Notts/S04/S05 to repitch next week...

I have Notts (GV12), S04, US05 and S33. Any advice is welcome :confused:

I would just pitch the barleywine on the IPA yeast cake - the hop flavour will get lost in the barleywine. Taste the IPA before you prime it to check there is nothing untoward.

You could use any of those yeasts for the APA. Pewrsonal preference. And S33 seems reasonable for the Dubbel, even though it's not actually a Belgian yeast, apparently, it's English - it produces some ester flavours though, I made a couple of nice ales with it a year or two ago and have just bought another pack.

Latest posts

Back