Hop combo advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
Righto,

I ordered a load of hops from HBC last week and I'm brewing up an IPA or maybe another PA tomorrow. I'm still undecided whether to go with an English or an American style.
But I need some help with hops, what combo's would you use with these hops?
Amarillo,
Cascade,
Simcoe,
Cita,
Columbia,
EKG,
Fuggles,
Target,
Pilgrim.

I've got 100g of each apart from Amarillo and Citra, which I have 150g of each.

TIA.

I'm loving ales with a mix of Us and UK hops. :thumb:

Amarillo and Simcoe is a fantastic blend. Amarillo goes well with Cascade, and with Citra too.

An American brewer recommended Simcoe and Fuggles to me, but i'm yet to do it.

Goose Island IPA uses Pilgrim, Celeia, Centennial and Cascade. You could sub Fuggles for Celeia, they are very similar, and replace Centennial with Simcoe. So Pilgrim, Fuggles, Simcoe and Cascade.

There are loads of options.

My black IPA consists of columbus, amarillo and citra and turned out really nicely. I've not tried it, but Simcoe and Citra have been used together.
EKG is nice in an English ale and is often used with Fuggles, i'm sure you could do a combination of those and/or target and pilgrim which would work.

As Clibit says, your only problem is deciding on which ones to use!

IMO English and American hops can go well together but usually don't. Some brewers have succeeded in making great beers this way but most don't.
If you want to go English IPA I made a great one with just EKG (and a LOT of gypsum in the mash). EKG and Fuggles is a classic combo.
With the American any C hop should taste great together. Amarillo, Citra and Simcoe should also work. If going US though, dry hopping is pretty essential and all additions should be in greater sizes.

Latest posts

Back