Nicks90 brew day #2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my second forays into all grain brewing is complete.
Decided to do a mix and match with the remaining 1.5kg of Maris otter grain with a can of wilko's finest one can bitter kit and to learn from my previous lessons around using a pillow case as a brew bag!

So
1.5kg maris otter
100gm rolled oats
Mash in 5l water for 60mins at 67c
Poured into 23l fv through a colander
Sparged with 4l at 80c into fv
Strain back into pan through a fine sieve to get the few bits that made it through the colander
60min boil
10gm challenger hops for 50min
12gm challenger hops for 10min

Whilst that was doing, emptied the wilko's single can of goodness in to fv and made up to 10l
Boil left 5l of AG wort
Sort of crash cooled by dumping it in the fv with the 10l wilko's special
Left it outside for 60mins and it was at 28c. Made a slight mistake at this point as I thought my thermometer said 18c.... Pitched in wilko's beer yeast that had been bubbling away in a starter for a couple of hours and then quickly put the whole lot on some Yorkshire stone slabs outside to cool when I realised the temp was too high. Oops
Took a reading when it hit 20mins - 1055
Doesn't look like I've damaged the yeast starter too much, as it's bubbling away like a good un within a couple of hours!!!
Hopefully this will be a good solid bitter and might be ready for a sample around new year Eve!!!

I know it's not a proper AG brew, but it was using up my remaining ingredients and should improve what's a pretty blurgh one can kit no end! Certainly better than the intended addition of 1kg sugar and making to 23l !!! No idea on efficiency or ibu etc as I didn't take a reading post boil of the wort and I have no idea what the wilko's kit is. So it's a suck it and see recipe

9 days in and it's still bubbling away to itself. Slow brew is partly because my home office is sitting at 15-18c, due to me working from the proper office due to an ongoing project.
To stop the wild temp swings, the fv has been sat on an inch of Styrofoam board and wrapped in a layer of thick bubble wrap and a sleeping bag. Temp probe taped to the side of the fv has shown a pretty constant 16c though with just the odd increase to 17c. Certainly shouldn't be enough to cause any issues.

So this is going to be a low and slow one, as the gravity is currently at 1017 - so I reckon another week and it'll be done.
To be honest I hope it finishes at about 1015 and doesn't go to 1010 or lower, as I'm not sure I want a quaffing bitter at 6%!!!

Back