Left over brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

568ml

Reaction score
Hi

What does the panel think I can do with my left over hops, malt and tins?

1 x Coopers 86 Days Pilsner tin

1 x Muntons Traditional Bitter tin

1 x Belle Saison yeasties

1 x 500g Medium Spray Malt

250g Caramalt

~30g Cascade hobs

~50g Challenger hobs

~80g Perle hobs

I would like to use the Pilsner tin and the yesties to make up a Saison of some sort.

What would you brew to use this lot ?

A traditional saison has wheat malt (up to 20%-ish) and cane sugar.
I'd use the caramalt and spray malt for an ale anyway, you could try this with a stripped hop sheet.

Funny how in my situation, trying to brew my leftovers away would probably leave me with more leftovers. "I only need a bit of hops OOOH DME ON SALE"

How about this...
86 day pilsner - this kit comes with a proper lager yeast so if you brew short say 12 litres using kit can only, there will be sufficient kit yeast to brew at low temperatures. Then dry hop or hop tea with most or all Cascade
Bitter kit - grain steep with some or all of Caramalt, all of DME, brew short to suit OG, use kit yeast, dry hop and/or hop tea with some of Challenger.
This will leave you with the Perle hops, saison yeast, perhaps some Caramalt and some leftovers from Cascade and Challenger.
If you want to do a Saison buy some more DME and make up an extract brew with that and any left over Caramalt and your yeast, use any leftover Challenger for bittering and use Perle for bittering flavour or aroma as you see fit.
You will then have 3 completely different beers for a nominal additional outlay and will have used up most of your left overs.

Last edited:
I'm not much good at this but I would buy the following to add to your stockpile:
1 x 500g dry wheat malt
1 x tin light liquid malt extract

Then I would try to make the following:

1. Saison made with lager tin, dme and wheat malt. Use some of the perle hops and the saison yeast.

2. Bitter made with the bitter tin and liquid malt. Also steep some or all of the caramalt as terrym suggests. Use challenger to bitter and cascade for flavour/aroma (perhaps keep some back to dry hop or buy a 25g teabag from Crossmyloof for this).

Back