Co2 Regulater query/problem.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just put on a new co2 6kg hobbyweld cylinder. I've noticed on both the new and previous cylinders, my regulator does not seem to be working correctly. It almost looks like the new cylinder is empty of gas (which it definitely isn't!) according to the dial;- see photo. When I put a new cylinder on, do I have to do anything to the regulator, other than attaching it to the cylinder? Just seems strange that this is the second cylinder to give this reading. The previous one read similarly, but lasted for a couple of years.

Also how much are people paying for their Co2? Mine was £34.71!! Surely somebody does it cheaper. I live in North Essex (approx 12 miles west of Colchester and 18 miles north west of Chelmsford).

IMG_20171113_121924.jpg

It should probably read over 50 bar (I think mine does) but it is showing a lot of pressure even though it's in the red.

Hi!
I'm not local, but Adams supply home bar gas for about �£15 for 6kg with a refundable �£55 deposit.
Nearest stockist is outside Bury St. Edmonds, unfortunately.

Hi!
I'm not local, but Adams supply home bar gas for about ��£15 for 6kg with a refundable ��£55 deposit.
Nearest stockist is outside Bury St. Edmonds, unfortunately.

Thanks for that Big Col, hell of a lot cheaper than what I've just paid!! Only an extra 15 miles, so still cheaper than my normal stockist;- nearly fell through the floor when he told me the price. Will use them when I'm next in need of gas.

... Just put on a new co2 6kg hobbyweld cylinder. I've noticed on both the new and previous cylinders, my regulator does not seem to be working correctly. It almost looks like the new cylinder is empty of gas (which it definitely isn't!) according to the dial;- see photo. ...
Nowt wrong with the regulator (or nowt that the gauges are telling you), but the gauge is probably naff. As Dads_Ale says his gauge reads similar; the gauges are probably all naff on these models. Unless you fork out a small fortune, ALL these type of gauges are naff.

But what do you hope the gauge tells you? It will either indicate there is gas in the cylinder, or that the cylinder is empty. When the cylinder isn't empty the gauge will read about 900PSI (or in your case about 350PSI will be indicated). When it is empty the gauge should read zero but probably wont as the gauges frequently don't zero like they should. There will be a few days where the gauge starts reading somewhere in between: This tells you the cylinder is empty and just contains fumes - probably not enough time to get the next cylinder in. This is the nature of CO2 cylinders - wretched isn't it?

I wrote a short primer. The penultimate paragraph explains this better: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67424

(EDIT: I assumed the gauge was reading in PSI, but is probably BAR. In which case when there is any gas left it should be reading about 55-65BAR. The high pressure gauges on my regulators are about the size of my thumbnail, which reflects how important they are.).

Thanks for that Big Col, hell of a lot cheaper than what I've just paid!! Only an extra 15 miles, so still cheaper than my normal stockist;- nearly fell through the floor when he told me the price. Will use them when I'm next in need of gas.

Hi,
Sorry! I've made a mistake - the 6.35 kg bottle is £18.80 plus VAT. Still cheaper than what you're paying now, though.
http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/product/carbon-dioxode-co2-gas-refill-6-35kg-for-home-bar/
Up in Yorkshire, I paid £65 for my first 6 kg bottle, then £20 a time for a "refill".

Nowt wrong with the regulator (or nowt that the gauges are telling you), but the gauge is probably naff. As Dads_Ale says his gauge reads similar; the gauges are probably all naff on these models. Unless you fork out a small fortune, ALL these type of gauges are naff.

But what do you hope the gauge tells you? It will either indicate there is gas in the cylinder, or that the cylinder is empty. When the cylinder isn't empty the gauge will read about 900PSI (or in your case about 350PSI will be indicated). When it is empty the gauge should read zero but probably wont as the gauges frequently don't zero like they should. There will be a few days where the gauge starts reading somewhere in between: This tells you the cylinder is empty and just contains fumes - probably not enough time to get the next cylinder in. This is the nature of CO2 cylinders - wretched isn't it?

I wrote a short primer. The penultimate paragraph explains this better: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67424

(EDIT: I assumed the gauge was reading in PSI, but is probably BAR. In which case when there is any gas left it should be reading about 55-65BAR. The high pressure gauges on my regulators are about the size of my thumbnail, which reflects how important they are.).

I get your drift but this regulator is not one of the chinese cheapos,its one of the better high quality Italian ones ,i myself have just upgraded to the same model so i really hope its not as naff as you say !! :)

I’ve never had issues with my Chinese ones. They’ve all read correctly every time. But, the gas you get in Japan have these dip tubes with a floater in them showing you the level of the tank. Very helpful.

I get your drift but this regulator is not one of the chinese cheapos,its one of the better high quality Italian ones ,i myself have just upgraded to the same model so i really hope its not as naff as you say !! :)
Never said the regulator is naff. But the gauges are more than likely naff, wherever they are made. "Naff" as in "you treat them as (very) rough guides, not precision instruments".

The piccie is of one of my regulators. It's diminutive compared to the thuggish brutes many people use, but it has a fixed output (3BAR, but the newer ones have 5BAR output). It supplies my "secondary" regulators; in shot is some gubbins that attach it to the "low pressure" side (or "bus" line). Note the tiny "high pressure" gauge, about 20mm across, which doesn't zero properly - do I care? The "high pressure" gauge really does sod all on CO2 regulators, it's the low pressure gauges (like the ones attached to my secondary regulators) that are the important ones. The pictured regulator is from aquarium circles. (WARNING: You can get "regulators" like these from China via EBay that are "flow regulators" not pressure regulators and would be extremely dangerous). And don't attach one of these regulators to a "mixed gas" cylinder - that is a completely different ball game to CO2 cylinders.

Rather like the "floater/indicators" that JapanBrew talks about - wish we could get them.

20171117_120931.jpg

Back