Whole oats

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorse

Reaction score
My dark wit recipe is taking shape, but it asks for whole oats. Are these just the same as regular porridge oats, and if not, do we think it would be safe to substitute anyway?

Depends on what you actually have in your packet of porridge oats.

It's unlikely, but if you have "whole" oats, you'll need to cook them before using. 15 minutes with enough water to have a cereal-like consistency prior to adding to your mash (i.e. not so much it's like gloopy porridge!).

However, if the oats are "rolled" or "flaked", then the starches (what you want in your beer) have been gelatinised already and are immediately available. But avoid if there is other stuff in the ingredients, some instant porridge will have powdered milk and other junk.

"Flaked" is the more common version being referred to when we talk about oats in brewing, e.g. https://www.brewuk.co.uk/flaked-malted-oats-1kg.html

Thanks. I'm talking ******** anyway. Just checked again and it says "instant oats", not whole. Think I've got everything and get making this stuff soon. Will post the recipe.

Latest posts

Back