Adding chocolate (Cocoa) to kit beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chapseye

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone tried adding coca powder (drinking/cooking type) to a kit beer?

I have seen recipes for AG and extract using this, but not kits.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or results?

No reason why not but I wouldn't use drinking chocolate, cocoa nibs would be better. :thumb:

I added 250g of Cocoa powder (bournville) to 2 cans of cooper stout and 2kg fermentable (50:50 sugar and spraymalt). So it was not a normal brew by any means but the chocolate added a strong bitterness that was different from the astringent bitterness of the dark malts. You may have better success with using cocoa nibs like GA says and I would add them near the end of fermentation or even post fermentation. The alcohol in the brew will help pull the flavour from the cocoa nibs.

I am currently doing this but with a wine so it is a bit different.

I used Hershey's Chocolate Syrup tin 453g in a chocolate vanilla porter and it worked out just fine. Chocolate taste was just there and not overpowering. Being syrup it also added extra fermentables. I have even heard of people using this syrup as priming sugar when bottling.

Thanks all.

I had heard that adding this can increase bitterness. I have also heard that it can effect the colour.

I am trying to earn some brownie points from SWMBO, by knocking up a choc stout for the mother in-law. :D

Sorry to butt into this thread!.

I would like to add some chocolate grains to my kit but unsure which way is the quickest way to go?..

Anyone got any ideas!..

Spursmatt said:
Sorry to butt into this thread!.

I would like to add some chocolate grains to my kit but unsure which way is the quickest way to go?..

Anyone got any ideas!..

I think you'd get a better response if you start a new thread.
When you say quickest... quickest in what respect?

Whilst waiting in a queue to get my Malvern water from the West Malvern Haslad Spring , I began talking to the man in front of me about homebrew , he said the best beer he had ever tasted was from a 5 gallon batch of Stout to which just one tablespoon of chocolate powder had been added.
He also told me of a hops warehouse in Worcester where you used to be able to buy a load of hops from broken bales for £1 ,don't know how long he's going back though , I told him I'd just paid nearly a fiver for 100g.

EskiBrew,

Well I have some chocolate grains to use and I would like them in my coopers stout to give off a chocolate taste!..

Basically due to children I really don't have much time and I just wanted to know if there was an easy way to get a hint of chocolate from the grains into my beer.

I can spare up to half an hour but I haven't got 1/2 hours spare per evening!!!

Are you meaning Chocolate Malt? If so the name chocolate refers to the colour and not thetaste thought it does impart a slightly burnt taste. I always use it in stout. :thumb: :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
Are you meaning Chocolate Malt? If so the name chocolate refers to the colour and not thetaste thought it does impart a slightly burnt taste. I always use it in stout. :thumb: :thumb:

Yes I have just had a look and it is chocolate malt!..

Thanks for the information!.. I'm quite new to this!..

I steeped 200g of chocolate malt in hot water (about 68C I think) for 30 minutes. Remove grains and add to FV. As GA said it does not add a chocolate taste to the beer but a fresh coffee/burnt taste. Definetly recommended for improving the kit.

alanywiseman said:
I steeped 200g of chocolate malt in hot water (about 68C I think) for 30 minutes. Remove grains and add to FV. As GA said it does not add a chocolate taste to the beer but a fresh coffee/burnt taste. Definetly recommended for improving the kit.

Thanks AW,

What I will do is but 200g in hot, not boiling water (due to no thermometer) and steep for 30mins, think about possibly slinging in fuggles hops for 20 mins aswell!..

Latest posts

Back